Current as of: 2010
(a) This chapter applies to every individual, person, firm, corporation, association, or organization of any kind hereafter engaging or purporting to engage in the provision of all or part of a health care service as defined in Alaska Stat. § 21.87.330 , for its subscribers in exchange for periodic prepayments in identifiable amount by or as to the subscribers.
(b) This chapter does not apply to
(1) insurers or fraternal benefit societies authorized to transact the kind of insurance involved under other chapters of this title;
(2) fraternal and other organizations exempted from AS 21.24;
(3) health care services provided by an employer to employees and their dependents, with or without contribution to the costs thereof by the employees, through health care service facilities owned, employed, or controlled by the employers;
(4) infrequent instances of prepayment by or for the patient direct to the physician or hospital for specific services thereafter rendered to the patient by the physician or hospital;
(5) ambulance or emergency medical services provided by a municipality, nonprofit medical service corporation, or nonprofit association if the person providing the services is certified under AS 18.08.082.
Questions & Answers: Insurance
U.S. Code Provisions: Insurance
Federal Regulations: Insurance