Current as of: 2009
In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Authorized representative" means the elevator chief and elevator inspector employed by the division.
2. "Board" means the elevator advisory board established to assist the commission in drafting standards and regulations.
3. "Commission" means the industrial commission of Arizona.
4. "Conveyance" means an elevator, dumbwaiter, escalator, moving walk, manlift, personnel hoist, material hoist, stage lift and special purpose personnel elevator, excluding conveyances located at mines and subject to regulation and inspection by the state mine inspector pursuant to the provisions of title 27, chapter 3.
5. "Director" means the director of the division of occupational safety and health.
6. "Division" means the division of occupational safety and health of the industrial commission.
7. "Dumbwaiter" means a hoisting and lowering mechanism with a car of limited capacity and size which moves in guides in a substantially vertical direction and is used exclusively for carrying material.
8. "Elevator" means a hoisting and lowering mechanism equipped with a car or platform which moves in guides in substantially vertical direction and which serves two or more floors of a building or structure.
9. "Escalator" means a power driven, inclined, continuous stairway used for raising or lowering passengers.
10. "Interested party" means the commission and its agents and the owner or operator who has been issued a correction order.
11. "Manlift" means a device consisting of a power driven endless belt moving in one direction only and provided with steps or platforms and attached handholds for the transportation of personnel from floor to floor.
12. "Material hoist" means a hoist for raising and lowering materials only and prohibiting the hoisting of persons.
13. "Moving walk" means a type of passenger carrying device on which passengers stand or walk and in which the passenger carrying surface remains parallel to its direction of motion and is uninterrupted.
14. "Owner" or "operator" means an individual or organization including this state and all political subdivisions of this state who has title to, controls or has the duty to control the operation of one or more conveyances, but shall not include an individual or organization engaged in mining or metallurgical operations whose operation is subject to regulation and inspection by the state mine inspector pursuant to the provisions of title 27, chapter 3.
15. "Personnel hoist" means a mechanism for use in connection with the construction, alteration, maintenance or demolition of a building, structure or other work, used for hoisting and lowering workers and materials and equipped with a car that moves on guide members during its vertical movement. The term includes a hoistway of a personnel hoist.
16. "Special purpose personnel elevator" means a passenger, hand powered, counterweighted device or an electric powered device which travels vertically in guides and serves two or more landings.
17. "Stage lift" means a hoisting and lowering mechanism equipped with a platform which moves in guides in a substantially vertical direction and which serves one or more landings.Prev | Next