Current as of: Dec. 2011
(1) The minimum qualifying criteria for Special Inspectors of Threshold Buildings, also referred to as Threshold Inspectors, established by the Board shall be as follows:
(a) Proof of current licensure in good standing as a licensed professional engineer whose principal practice is structural engineering in the State of Florida.
(b) Three years of experience in performing structural field inspections on threshold buildings.
(c) Two years of experience in the structural design of threshold buildings after having achieved licensure as a professional engineer. For the purpose of these criteria, structural design shall mean the design of all structural components of the building and shall not be limited to specific structural components only, such as foundations, prestressed or post-tensioned concrete, etc.
(d) Experience in the structural inspection and/or design of at least three threshold buildings. This experience must be within the ten calendar years preceding submission of the application.
(a) The instructions and application form for Special Inspector, Form FBPE/TBI/006(08/00) is hereby incorporated by reference, effective 4-19-01, “Special Inspector Application and Instructions”. Copies of Form FBPE/TBI/006(08/00) may be obtained from the Board office or by downloading it from the internet web site www.fbpe.org.
(b) All applications for certification as a Special Inspector shall be submitted to the Board on Form FBPE/TBI/006(08/00).
(c) Applications shall contain the following basic information pertaining to the applicant:
2. Florida license number;
3. Educational and experience dates and sufficient description of each to clearly demonstrate that the minimum qualification criteria has been met;
4. Letters of recommendation from three registered professional engineers whose principal practice is structural engineering in the State of Florida, one of whom must be certified as a Special Inspector;
5. The signature, date and seal by the applicant attesting to the competency of the applicant to perform structural inspections on threshold buildings; and
6. Completed form FBPE/TBI/006(08/00).
(d) Upon a determination that the application contains all of the information requested by these rules, review of the application shall be scheduled for consideration by the Board. Such applications may be approved, rejected or deferred for further information by the Board. If the Board defers an application for additional information, it shall notify the applicant of the information needed. Applicants shall be notified in writing of the Board’s actions as soon as practicable and, in the case of rejected applications, the Board shall set forth the reasons for such rejection.
(3) Temporary Certification. Professional engineers who have been granted temporary licensure in Florida pursuant to the provisions of Section 471.021, F.S., shall also be granted temporary certification as a Special Inspector provided the criteria set forth in these rules have been met. Such temporary certification shall be limited to work on one specific project in this state for a period not to exceed one year.
(4) Roster of Special Inspectors. The Board shall maintain a roster of all persons certified as Special Inspectors pursuant to the criteria established in these rules and the law. The roster shall be made available to interested parties upon request. The roster shall be updated on a continuing basis and additions or deletions to the latest published roster may be verified by contacting the Board office.
Laws implemented by this Rule: Florida Statutes § 471.015, 471.033
This Rule authorized by: Florida Statutes § 471.008, 471.033
Florida Laws: Engineering