Current as of: 2010
(1) Every bank and bank holding company shall be subject to the inspection and supervision of the director of the department of finance as provided in this act.
(2) The director may from time to time promulgate, amend and rescind rules necessary or proper to carry out the provisions of this act. No rule may be adopted unless the director finds that the action is necessary or appropriate for the protection of the interests of bank depositors or for the welfare of banks and consistent with the purpose of this act.
(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of the Idaho bank act, but subject to the limitations provided for in this section:
(a) A bank may engage in any activity in which it could engage, exercise any power it could exercise, or make any loan or investment which it could make if it were operating as a national bank or which has been approved by the responsible federal agency for any state-chartered bank in the United States.
(b) Before engaging in any activity or exercising any power afforded under this subsection (3), a bank shall first notify the director of its intent to do so. This notice shall be sent to the director by U.S. mail, postage prepaid, certified or registered, with return receipt requested. Should the director take no action on the request within twenty (20) days of delivery to the director, the right to engage in the action or power so requested shall be deemed granted.
(c) Should the director deny the request, the affected bank shall have the right to request a hearing before the director, which hearing shall be held within thirty (30) days of the date of the denial.
(d) The director shall have the discretion to deny any request which is inconsistent with the purposes of the Idaho bank act.
(e) No such approval shall operate to deny the director of any of his authority under the Idaho bank act and such permitted activity shall be subject to supervision by the director.
(f) The director may, by order, waive or modify any requirement under this act if the corresponding federal requirement for national banks is eliminated or modified.
(4) Banks which are subsidiaries of bank holding companies may receive deposits, renew time deposits, close loans, service loans, and receive payments on loans as agent for other depository institutions which are subsidiaries of the same bank holding company.
(5) All rules must be promulgated pursuant to the provisions of chapter 52, title 67 , Idaho Code. Unless expressly provided in the Idaho bank act, proceedings under the Idaho bank act shall not be considered "contested cases" under chapter 52, title 67 , Idaho Code.
Questions & Answers: Banking
U.S. Code Provisions: Banking
Federal Regulations: Banking