Current as of: 2009
When used in this chapter , unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Agreement" is the agreement between a business and a community college concerning a project.
2. "Community college" means a community college established under chapter 260C .
3. "Date of commencement of the project" means the date of the preliminary agreement or the date an application for assistance is received by the department.
4. "Department" means the department of economic development.
5. "Eligible business" or "business" means a business training employees which is engaged in interstate or intrastate commerce for the purpose of manufacturing, processing, or assembling products, conducting research and development, or providing services in interstate commerce, but excludes retail, health, or professional services and which meets the other criteria established by the department. "Eligible business" does not include a business whose training costs can be economically funded under chapter 260E , a business which closes or substantially reduces its employment base in order to relocate substantially the same operation to another area of the state, or a business which is involved in a strike, lockout, or other labor dispute in Iowa.
6. "Employee" means a person currently employed by a business who is to be trained. However, "employee" does not include replacement workers who are hired as a result of a strike, lockout, or other labor dispute in Iowa.
7. "Jobs training program" or "program" means the project or projects established by a community college for the training of employees.
8. "Participating business" means a business training employees which enters into an agreement with the community college.
9. "Program costs" means all necessary and incidental costs of providing program services.
10. "Program services" includes but is not limited to the following:
a . Training of employees.
b . Adult basic education and job-related instruction.
c . Vocational and skill-assessment services and testing.
d . Training facilities, equipment, materials, and supplies.
e . Administrative expenses for the jobs training program.
f . Subcontracted services with institutions governed by the state board of regents, private colleges or universities, or other federal, state, or local agencies.
g . Contracted or professional services.
11. "Project" means a training arrangement which is the subject of an agreement entered into between the community college and a business to provide program services. "Project" also means a department-sponsored training arrangement which is sponsored by the department and administered under sections 260F.6A and 260F.6B .
Questions & Answers: Job Training
Iowa Laws: Job Training
U.S. Code Provisions: Job Training
Federal Regulations: Job Training