Current as of: 2009
1. For the purposes of this section , "sustainable agriculture" means the appropriate use of crop and livestock systems and agricultural inputs supporting those activities which maintain economic and social viability while preserving the high productivity and quality of Iowa’s land.
2. The Leopold center for sustainable agriculture is established in the Iowa agricultural and home economics experiment station at Iowa state university of science and technology. The center shall conduct and sponsor research to identify and reduce negative environmental and socio-economic impacts of agricultural practices. The center also shall research and assist in developing emerging alternative practices that are consistent with a sustainable agriculture. The center shall develop in association with the Iowa cooperative extension service in agriculture and home economics an educational framework to inform the agricultural community and the general public of its findings.
3. a . An advisory board is established consisting of the following members:
(1) Three persons from Iowa state university of science and technology, appointed by its president.
(2) Two persons from the state university of Iowa, appointed by its president.
(3) Two persons from the university of northern Iowa, appointed by its president.
(4) Two representatives of private colleges and universities within the state, to be nominated by the Iowa association of independent colleges and universities, and appointed by the Iowa coordinating council for post-high school education.
(5) One representative of the department of agriculture and land stewardship, appointed by the secretary of agriculture.
(6) One representative of the department of natural resources, appointed by the director.
(7) One man and one woman, actively engaged in agricultural production, appointed by the state soil conservation committee.
(8) Four persons actively engaged in agriculture who are appointed by the titular head of each of the following agricultural organizations:
(a) The Iowa farm bureau federation.
(b) The Iowa farmers union.
(c) The practical farmers of Iowa.
(d) The agribusiness association of Iowa.
b . The terms of the members shall begin and end as provided in section 69.19 and any vacancy shall be filled by the original appointing authority. The terms shall be for four years and shall be staggered as determined by the president of Iowa state university of science and technology. The members appointed by the titular heads of agricultural organizations shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred while engaged in their official duties, but shall not be entitled to per diem compensation as authorized under section 7E.6 .
4. a . The Iowa agricultural and home economics experiment station shall employ a director for the center, who shall be appointed by the president of Iowa state university of science and technology. The director of the center shall employ the necessary research and support staff. The director and staff shall be employees of Iowa state university of science and technology. No more than five hundred thousand dollars of the funds received from the agriculture management account annually shall be expended by the center for the salaries and benefits of the employees of the center, including the salary and benefits of the director. The remainder of the funds received from the agriculture management account shall be used to sponsor research grants and projects on a competitive basis from Iowa colleges and universities and private nonprofit agencies and foundations. The center may also solicit additional grants and funding from public and private nonprofit agencies and foundations.
b . The director shall prepare an annual report.
5. The board shall provide the president of Iowa state university of science and technology with a list of three candidates from which the director shall be selected. The board shall provide an additional list of three candidates if requested by the president. The board shall advise the director in the development of a budget, on the policies and procedures of the center, in the funding of research grant proposals, and regarding program planning and review.
Iowa Laws: Specific Schools