Current as of: 2009
The requirements as to security and suspension in section 321A.5 shall not apply:
1. To the operator or the owner of a motor vehicle involved in any accident wherein no injury or damage was caused to the person or property of anyone other than such operator or owner.
2. To the operator or the owner of a motor vehicle if at the time of the accident the vehicle was stopped, standing, or parked, whether attended or unattended, except that the requirements of this chapter shall apply in the event the department determines that any such stopping, standing, or parking of the vehicle was illegal or that the vehicle was not equipped with lighted lamps or illuminating devices or flags when and as required by the laws of this state and that any such violation contributed to the accident.
3. To the owner of a motor vehicle if at the time of the accident the vehicle was being operated without the owner’s permission, express or implied, or was parked by a person who had been operating such motor vehicle without such permission.
4. If, prior to the date that the department would otherwise suspend license and registration or nonresident’s operating privilege under section 321A.5 , there shall be filed with the department evidence satisfactory to the department that the person who would otherwise have to file security has been released from liability or been finally adjudicated not to be liable or has executed a warrant for confession of judgment, payable when and in such installments as the parties have agreed to, or has executed a duly acknowledged written agreement providing for the payment of an agreed amount in installments, with respect to all claims for injuries or damages resulting from the accident; provided, however, in the event there shall be any default in the payment of any installment under any confession of judgment, then, upon notice of such default, the department shall forthwith suspend the license and registration or nonresident’s operating privilege of such person defaulting which shall not be restored unless and until the entire amount provided for in said confession of judgment has been paid; and provided, further, that in the event there shall be any default in the payment of any installment under any duly acknowledged written agreement, then, upon notice of such default, the department shall forthwith suspend the license and registration or nonresident’s operating privilege of such person defaulting which shall not be restored unless and until:
a . Such person deposits and thereafter maintains security as required under section 321A.5 in such amount as the department may then determine; or
b . Twelve months after such security was required, provided the department has not been notified that an action upon such an agreement has been instituted in a court in this state within one year after such security was required.
5. To the operator or owner of special mobile equipment.
Questions & Answers: Car Insurance
Iowa Laws: Car Insurance