Current as of: 2009
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to:
(1) Organize or conduct any commercial or private cockfight wherein there is a display of combat or fighting among one or more domestic or feral chickens and in which it is intended or reasonably foreseeable that the chickens would be injured, maimed, mutilated, or killed; or
(2) Possess, train, purchase, or sell any chicken with the intent that the chicken shall be engaged in an unlawful commercial or private cockfight as prohibited in Paragraph (1) of this Subsection.
B. As used in this Section, the following words and phrases have the following meanings ascribed to them:
(1) "Chicken" means any bird which is of the species Gallus gallus, whether domestic or feral.
(2) "Cockfight" means a contest wherein chickens are set against one another with the intention that they engage in combat.
C.(1) Whoever violates the provisions of this Section, on conviction of a first offense, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
(2) On a conviction of a second offense, the offender shall be fined not less than seven hundred fifty dollars, nor more than two thousand dollars, or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than six months nor more than one year, or both. In addition to any other penalty imposed, on a conviction of a second offense, the offender shall be ordered to perform fifteen eight-hour days of court-approved community service. The community service requirement shall not be suspended.
(3) On a conviction of a third offense, the offender shall be fined not less than one thousand dollars, nor more than two thousand dollars, and shall be imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than one year nor more than three years. At least six months of the sentence imposed shall be served without benefit of parole, probation, or suspension of sentence.
Acts 2007, No. 425, §1, eff. Aug. 15, 2008.Prev | Next
Questions & Answers: Criminal Law
| I'm from California & got speeding ticket in Clark County, NV with the wrong color about my car. Do you think i should go to court to trial or just pay the bail? Pls. advise....|
| Gaylord hill,
To your question, yes how ever much jail time he had in, that gets credited to his sentencing to prison. But if his points are high, (points system is all the times h...|
| My son took a plea for cardnal knowledge of a juvanile, non aggregated, with a 3yr cap. Accuser was 14. Is there residential restrictions? He was living with me (parents) but we...|
| If someone is arrested for aggravated assault and the judge modifies the bond to let the person leave the state is the person who put up the bond for that person still responsible ...|
| I was living in Racine,WI, at a hotel with my ex fiance. My ex had been abusive towards me and in June 2012 he was abusive, left with my car and relapsed on crack, and I packed to ...|
| Is there a sentence in AZ equivalent to "life WITHOUT parole?" Juan Martinez seems to think not - that any life sentence can be later parole eligible....|
U.S. Code Provisions: Criminal Law