Current as of: 2009
A. There is hereby established the Louisiana Innovation Council within the Department of Economic Development which shall exercise and perform its powers, duties, functions, and responsibilities in the manner provided for agencies transferred in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 36:801.
B. The council shall be composed of the following members:
(1) The governor or the governor's designee.
(2) The secretary of economic development.
(3) The commissioner of higher education.
(4) The executive director of the Louisiana Workforce Commission.
(5) The president of the Louisiana Community and Technical College System.
(6) The state superintendent of education.
(7) The chair of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Consumer Protection and International Affairs, or his designee.
(8) The chair of the House of Representatives Committee on Commerce, or his designee.
(9) Two statewide representatives, appointed by the president of the Senate, of which one shall be an entrepreneur.
(10) Two statewide representatives, appointed by the speaker of the House of Representatives, of which one shall be an entrepreneur.
(11) Eight entrepreneurs in the state, appointed by the governor.
(12) Four statewide representatives, appointed by the governor.
(13) The chief executive officer of the Council for A Better Louisiana, or his designee.
(14) The chair of Blueprint Louisiana, or his designee.
(15) The chair of the Committee of 100 for Economic Development, or his designee.
(16) The president of the Southern University System, or his designee.
(17) The president of the University of Louisiana System, or his designee.
(18) The president of the Louisiana State University System, or his designee.
(19) One representative appointed by the Louisiana Association of Independent Colleges and Universities.
C. The council shall have as its mission to shape an innovation-based vision for Louisiana and coordinate activities in the statewide innovation agenda.
D. The duties of the council shall include, but are not limited to the following:
(1) Recognize and communicate economic diversification and innovation efforts as key state economic development priorities.
(2) Shape the Louisiana innovation agenda, including strategic objectives, activities and investment opportunities related to targeted research investments, commercialization efforts, entrepreneurship services, risk capital development, and the development of new, high-growth industry segments.
(3) Assist in the development of a workforce pipeline that supports innovation, including efforts to cultivate talent in Louisiana's pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade education systems, community and technical colleges, universities, and other relevant workforce development programs.
(4) Assist in the coordination of related policies, programs, and investments, including those already in place, including but not limited to angel investor tax credits and state venture capital investments.
(5) Develop prioritized recommendations on an annual basis to address part or all of the Louisiana innovation agenda.
(6) Evaluate in the first year topics such as technology transfer, high-growth industry segments and a Georgia Research Alliance model for Louisiana, including an organizational model, operational model, and a proposed start-up budget for a Louisiana Research Alliance based on best practices of other states.
E.(1) The council shall adopt such rules and procedures as it shall find necessary for the conduct of the activities and meetings of the council.
(2) No action shall be taken by the council except by a favorable vote of a majority of the members.
(3) The governor shall appoint the chair and vice chair of the council from its membership. All other officers, if any, shall be elected by the council from its membership.
F. The members of the council shall serve without compensation. Council members who are employees or elected public officials of the state of Louisiana or a political subdivision thereof may seek reimbursement of travel expenses from their agency or department, in accordance with PPM 49.
G. The council shall make, or cause to be made, all such studies, reviews, or analysis which it finds necessary to effect its purpose.
H. The council may receive and expend funds appropriated or otherwise made available by the legislature or from any other source, including donations or gifts of money or services from public or private organizations or from any other sources, to be utilized for the purposes of the council.
I. By February 1, 2010, the council shall present a status report on the development of the models and start-up budget for a Louisiana Research Alliance to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Consumer Protection and International Affairs and the House Committee on Commerce, meeting jointly. Prior to March 1, 2010, the council shall submit its recommended Louisiana Research Alliance organizational model, operational model, and start-up budget for review by the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget.
Acts 2009, No. 82, §1.Prev | Next
Questions & Answers: Economic Development
Louisiana Laws: Economic Development
U.S. Code Provisions: Economic Development
Federal Regulations: Economic Development