(1) if acting within the scope of official business, personnel of the United States government or a unit of that government, members of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard, or law enforcement personnel of the State or a local unit in the State;
(2) a firearm modified to render it permanently inoperative;
(3) purchases, sales, and transport to or by a licensed firearms dealer or manufacturer who is:
(i) providing or servicing an assault pistol or detachable magazine for a law enforcement unit or for personnel exempted under item (1) of this section; or
(ii) acting to sell or transfer an assault pistol or detachable magazine to a licensed firearm dealer in another state;
(4) organizations that are required or authorized by federal law governing their specific business or activity to maintain assault pistols and applicable ammunition and detachable magazines;
(5) the receipt of an assault pistol or detachable magazine by inheritance if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault pistol; or
(6) the receipt of an assault pistol or detachable magazine by a personal representative of an estate for purposes of exercising the powers and duties of a personal representative of an estate.