Current as of: 2010
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) "Access" means to instruct, communicate with, store data in, retrieve or intercept data from, or otherwise use the resources of a computer program, computer system, or computer network.
(3) (i) "Aggregate amount" means a direct loss of property or services incurred by a victim.
(ii) "Aggregate amount" includes:
1. the value of any money, property, or service lost, stolen, or rendered unrecoverable by the crime; or
2. any actual reasonable expenditure incurred by the victim to verify whether a computer program, computer, computer system, or computer network was altered, acquired, damaged, deleted, disrupted, or destroyed by access in violation of this section.
(4) (i) "Computer" means an electronic, magnetic, optical, organic, or other data processing device or system that performs logical, arithmetic, memory, or storage functions.
(ii) "Computer" includes property, a data storage facility, or a communications facility that is directly related to or operated with a computer.
(iii) "Computer" does not include an automated typewriter, a typesetter, or a portable calculator.
(5) "Computer control language" means ordered statements that direct a computer to perform specific functions.
(6) "Computer database" means a representation of information, knowledge, facts, concepts, or instructions that:
(i) is intended for use in a computer, computer system, or computer network; and
(ii) 1. is being prepared or has been prepared in a formalized manner; or
2. is being produced or has been produced by a computer, computer system, or computer network.
(7) "Computer network" means the interconnection of one or more computers through:
(i) the use of a satellite, microwave, line, or other communication medium; and
(ii) terminals or a complex consisting of two or more interconnected computers regardless of whether the interconnection is continuously maintained.
(8) "Computer program" means an ordered set of instructions or statements that may interact with related data and, when executed in a computer system, causes a computer to perform specified functions.
(9) "Computer services" includes computer time, data processing, and storage functions.
(10) "Computer software" means a computer program, instruction, procedure, or associated document regarding the operation of a computer system.
(11) "Computer system" means one or more connected or unconnected computers, peripheral devices, computer software, data, or computer programs.
(b) This section does not preclude the applicability of any other provision of this Code.
(c) (1) A person may not intentionally, willfully, and without authorization:
(i) access, attempt to access, cause to be accessed, or exceed the person’s authorized access to all or part of a computer network, computer control language, computer, computer software, computer system, computer sePrev
Questions & Answers: Criminal Law
U.S. Code Provisions: Criminal Law