(1) guide a coordinated, adjusted, efficient, and economic development of the region in a manner that will best promote the health, safety, order, convenience, prosperity, and welfare of the residents of the region in accordance with present and future needs and resources;
(2) provide for patterns of urbanization and the uses of land and resources for trade, industry, recreation, forestry, agriculture, and tourism;
(3) create conditions favorable to the development of human resources;
(4) identify the public interest and the necessity for public action and intergovernmental cooperation and coordination in the region;
(5) coordinate with the efforts of the private sector in the region;
(6) recognize any State comprehensive planning and development activities;
(7) reflect the plans and programs of the participating governmental units; and
(8) take into account economic and demographic factors, conditions, and trends that are relevant to the future development of the region.