Current as of: 2010
(a) When a local board receives a certificate of designation and a certificate of candidacy to fill a vacancy in nomination under this subtitle, it shall notify the State Board of the change by the end of the next business day following the receipt of the certificates.
(b) When the State Board is notified by a local board of a change in nomination under subsection (a) of this section or when a certificate of designation and a certificate of candidacy to fill a vacancy in nomination is filed directly with the State Board under this subtitle, the State Board shall:
(1) certify the nomination and substitute, for the name of the original nominee, the name of the individual who has been designated and determined to be qualified to have that individual’s name placed on the ballot as a successor nominee; and
(2) certify the new nomination to the appropriate local boards.
(c) If the State Board has already issued a certificate of nomination for a nominee under this section, it promptly shall certify to the appropriate local boards:
(1) the name and residence of the individual designated by the State central committee of the political party as the successor nominee to fill the vacancy;
(2) the office for which the successor nominee is nominated;
(3) the political party the successor nominee represents; and
(4) the name of the individual for whom the successor nominee is substituted.
(d) If a successor nominee to fill a vacancy in office is certified by the State Board under this section, the certificate of nomination for the prior nominee is void.Prev
Questions & Answers: Elections and Apportionment
Maryland Laws: Elections and Apportionment
U.S. Code Provisions: Elections and Apportionment