Current as of: 2010
(a) (1) For purposes of increasing the number of eligible individuals who enroll in the Maryland Children’s Health Program established under §§ 15-301 and 15-301.1 of this subtitle, the Department shall develop and implement a school-based outreach program.
(2) As appropriate to carry out its responsibilities under paragraph (1) of this subsection, the Department may enter into contracts with county boards of education to provide information at public schools on the Maryland Children’s Health Program established under §§ 15-301 and 15-301.1 of this subtitle.
(b) (1) For purposes of this subsection, "community-based organization" includes day care centers, schools, and school-based health clinics.
(2) In addition to the school-based outreach program established under subsection (a) of this section, the Department, in consultation with the Maryland Medicaid Advisory Committee established under § 15-103(b) of this title, shall develop mechanisms for outreach for the program with a special emphasis on identifying children who may be eligible for program benefits under the Maryland Children’s Health Program established under §§ 15-301 and 15-301.1 of this subtitle.
(3) From the mechanisms to be developed for outreach under paragraph (2) of this subsection, one mechanism shall include the development and dissemination of mail-in applications and appropriate outreach materials through community-based organizations, community-based providers, the Office of the State Comptroller, the Departments of Human Resources and Health and Mental Hygiene, county boards of education, and any other appropriate State agency or unit the Department considers appropriate.
(c) (1) The Department shall collaborate with the Office of the Comptroller or the Office of the State Treasurer to:
(i) Form a one–sentence statement advising that individuals who cannot afford health insurance may be eligible to enroll in the Maryland Children’s Health Program; and
(ii) Print the statement formed under item (i) of this paragraph:
1. On each State–issued tax refund check stub;
2. Once each pay quarter, on each State–issued employee paycheck stub; and
3. On each State–issued child support payment check stub.
(2) The statement shall contain a telephone number or other contact information that an individual may use to receive more information on eligibility for the Maryland Children’s Health Program.
(3) The statement may be altered by the Department in collaboration with the Office of the Comptroller or the Office of the State Treasurer to:
(i) Provide the most current information;
(ii) Fit within the space constraints of the different types of checks listed in paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection; or
(iii) Combine it with the statement required under § 15–102.1(c) of this title, if appropriate.Prev
Questions & Answers: Health and Medicine
Maryland Laws: Health and Medicine
U.S. Code Provisions: Health and Medicine
Federal Regulations: Health and Medicine