Current as of: 2010
(a) In this section, "safe patient lifting" means the use of mechanical lifting devices by hospital employees, instead of manual lifting, to lift, transfer, and reposition patients.
(b) On or before December 1, 2007, each hospital shall establish a safe patient lifting committee with equal membership from management and employees.
(c) (1) On or before July 1, 2008, the safe patient lifting committee shall develop a safe patient lifting policy for the hospital.
(2) The goal of the policy shall be to reduce employee injuries associated with patient lifting.
(d) While developing a safe patient lifting policy, the committee shall consider, based on the patient population of that hospital, the appropriateness and effectiveness of:
(1) Developing or enhancing patient handling hazard assessment processes;
(2) Enhanced use of mechanical lifting devices;
(3) Developing specialized lift teams;
(4) Training programs for safe patient lifting required for all patient care personnel at the hospital;
(5) Incorporating physical space and construction design for mechanical lifting devices in any architectural plans for hospital construction or renovation; and
(6) Developing an evaluation process to determine the effectiveness of the policy.Prev
Questions & Answers: Health and Medicine
Maryland Laws: Health and Medicine
U.S. Code Provisions: Health and Medicine
Federal Regulations: Health and Medicine