Current as of: 2010
(a) (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b) of this section or in other law, the Central Collection Unit is responsible for the collection of each delinquent account or other debt that is owed to the State or any of its officials or units.
(2) An official or unit of the State government shall refer to the Central Collection Unit each debt for which the Central Collection Unit has collection responsibility under this subsection and may not settle the debt.
(3) For the purposes of this subtitle, a community college or board of trustees for a community college established or operating under Title 16 of the Education Article is a unit of the State.
(b) Unless, with the approval of the Secretary, a unit of the State government assigns the claim to the Central Collection Unit, the Central Collection Unit is not responsible for and may not collect:
(1) any taxes;
(2) any child support payment that is owed under § 5–308 of the Human Services Article;
(3) any unemployment insurance contribution or overpayment;
(4) any fine;
(5) any court costs;
(6) any forfeiture on bond;
(7) any money that is owed as a result of a default on a loan that the Department of Business and Economic Development or the Department of Housing and Community Development has made or insured; or
(8) any money that is owed under Title 9, Subtitles 2, 3, and 4 and Title 20 of the Insurance Article.
(c) The Central Collection Unit shall be responsible for the collection of each delinquent account or other debt that is owed to a community college established or operating under Title 16 of the Education Article if the board of trustees for the community college:
(1) adopts a resolution appointing the Central Collection Unit as the collector of delinquent accounts or other debt; and
(2) submits the resolution to the Central Collection Unit.Prev
Questions & Answers: Finance
Maryland Laws: Finance