Current as of: 2010
(a) In addition to any rights granted under Article 9, a shareholder is entitled to dissent from, and obtain payment of the fair value of his shares in the event of, any of the following corporate actions:
(1) Consummation of a plan of merger to which the corporation (other than a parent corporation in a merger whose shares are not affected under Gen. Stat. 55-11-04) is a party unless (i) approval by the shareholders of that corporation is not required under Gen. Stat. 55-11-03(g) or (ii) such shares are then redeemable by the corporation at a price not greater than the cash to be received in exchange for such shares;
(2) Consummation of a plan of share exchange to which the corporation is a party as the corporation whose shares will be acquired, unless such shares are then redeemable by the corporation at a price not greater than the cash to be received in exchange for such shares;
(2a) Consummation of a plan of conversion pursuant to Part 2 of Article 11A of this Chapter;
(3) Consummation of a sale or exchange of all, or substantially all, of the property of the corporation other than as permitted by Gen. Stat. 55-12-01, including a sale in dissolution, but not including a sale pursuant to court order or a sale pursuant to a plan by which all or substantially all of the net proceeds of the sale will be distributed in cash to the shareholders within one year after the date of sale;
(4) An amendment of the articles of incorporation that materially and adversely affects rights in respect of a dissenter's shares because it (i) alters or abolishes a preferential right of the shares; (ii) creates, alters, or abolishes a right in respect of redemption, including a provision respecting a sinking fund for the redemption or repurchase, of the shares; (iii) alters or abolishes a preemptive right of the holder of the shares to acquire shares or other securities; (iv) excludes or limits the right of the shares to vote on any matter, or to cumulate votes, other than an amendment of the articles of incorporation permitting action without meeting to be taken by less than all shareholders entitled to vote, without advance notice, or both, as provided in Gen. Stat. 55-7-04; (v) reduces the number of shares owned by the shareholder to a fraction of a share if the fractional share so created is to be acquired for cash under Gen. Stat. 55-6-04; or (vi) changes the corporation into a nonprofit corporation or cooperative organization; or
(5) Any corporate action taken pursuant to a shareholder vote to the extent the articles of incorporation, bylaws, or a resolution of the board of directors provides that voting or nonvoting shareholders are entitled to dissent and obtain payment for their shares.
(b) A shareholder entitled to dissent and obtain payment for his shares under this Article may not challenge the corporate action creating his entitlement, including without limitation a merger solely or partly in exchange for cash or other property, unless the action is unlawful or fraudulent with respect to the shareholder or the corporation.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Article, there shall be no right of shareholders to dissent from, or obtain payment of the fair value of the shares in the event of, the corporate actions set forth in subdivisions (1), (2), or (3) of subsection (a) of this section if the affected shares are any class or series which, at the record date fixed to determine the shareholders entitled to receive notice of and to vote at the meeting at which the plan of merger or share exchange or the sale or exchange of property is to be acted on, were (i) listed on a national securities exchange or designated as a national market system security on an interdealer quotation system by the National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc., or (ii) held by at least 2,000 record shareholders. This subsection does not apply in cases in which either:
(1) The articles of incorporation, bylaws, or a resolution of the board of directors of the corporation issuing the shares provide otherwise; or
(2) In the case of a plan of merger or share exchange, the holders of the class or series are required under the plan of merger or share exchange to accept for the shares anything except:
b. Shares, or shares and cash in lieu of fractional shares of the surviving or acquiring corporation, or of any other corporation which, at the record date fixed to determine the shareholders entitled to receive notice of and vote at the meeting at which the plan of merger or share exchange is to be acted on, were either listed subject to notice of issuance on a national securities exchange or designated as a national market system security on an interdealer quotation system by the National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc., or held by at least 2,000 record shareholders; or
c. A combination of cash and shares as set forth in sub-subdivisions a. and b. of this subdivision. (1925, c. 77, s. 1; c. 235; 1929, c. 269; 1939, c. 279; 1943, c. 270; G.S., ss. 55-26, 55-167; 1955, c. 1371, s. 1; 1959, c. 1316, ss. 30, 31; 1969, c. 751, ss. 36, 39; 1973, c. 469, ss. 36, 37; c. 476, s. 193; 1989, c. 265, s. 1; 1989 (Reg. Sess., 1990), c. 1024, s. 12.18; 1991, c. 645, s. 12; 1997-202, s. 1; 1999-141, s. 1; 2001-387, s. 26; 2003-157, s. 1.)
Questions & Answers: Corporate Shareholders
North Carolina Laws: Corporate Shareholders