Current as of: 2009
As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:
1. "Dental service" means the general and usual service rendered and the care administered by licensed dentists.
2. "Health service" means service performed for and rendered to persons to restore, maintain, and promote personal health, to treat injuries and cure diseases, both physical and mental, by any lawful means, and includes hospital service, medical service, dental service, or optometric service, or any combination of these services. However, health service is limited to those services rendered by physicians, surgeons, practitioners, nurses, hospitals, nursing homes, or any other provider of health service who is licensed or registered under the laws of this state.
3. "Health service contract" means a contract which provides for the furnishing of one or more kinds of health service to a subscriber.
4. "Health service corporation" means a nonprofit corporation organized for the purposes of establishing a health service plan whereby one or more kinds of health service is provided to subscribers under a prepaid health service contract entitling each subscriber to certain specified health services, but does not include a health maintenance organization organized under chapter 26.1-18.1.
5. "Hospital service" includes bed and board, general nursing care, use of the operating room, use of the delivery room, ordinary medications and dressings, and other customary routine care, and nursing home services and health care and related services furnished by vendors of the services, but does not include the practice of medicine.
6. "Medical service" means the general and usual services rendered and care administered by physicians and oral surgeons.
7. "Optometric service" means the general and usual services rendered and care administered by practitioners.
8. "Oral surgeon" means a dentist who has met all of the formal requirements to be certified by the American board of oral surgery.
9. "Practitioner" includes an optometrist, a physician, a chiropractor, or an advanced registered nurse practitioner duly licensed to practice one's profession under North Dakota law.
Questions & Answers: Insurance
North Dakota Laws: Insurance
U.S. Code Provisions: Insurance
Federal Regulations: Insurance