Current as of: 2009
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Board" means the public employees retirement system board.
2. "Deferred member" means a person who elected to receive deferred vested retirement benefits under chapter 54-52.
3. "Eligible employee" means a permanent state employee, except an employee of the judicial branch or an employee of the board of higher education and state institutions under the jurisdiction of the board, who is eighteen years or more of age and who is in a position not classified by North Dakota human resource management services. If a participating member loses permanent employee status and becomes a temporary employee, the member may still participate in the defined contribution retirement plan.
4. "Employee" means any person employed by the state, whose compensation is paid out of state funds, or funds controlled or administered by the state or paid by the federal government through any of its executive or administrative officials.
5. "Employer" means the state of North Dakota.
6. "Participating member" means an eligible employee who elects to participate in the defined contribution retirement plan established under this chapter.
7. "Permanent employee" means a state employee whose services are not limited in duration and who is filling an approved and regularly funded position and is employed twenty hours or more per week and at least five months each year.
8. "Wages" and "salaries" means earnings in eligible employment under this chapter reported as salary on a federal income tax withholding statement plus any salary reduction or salary deferral amounts under 26 U.S.C. 125, 401(k), 403(b), 414(h), or 457. "Salary" does not include fringe benefits such as payments for unused sick leave, personal leave, vacation leave paid in a lump sum, overtime, housing allowances, transportation expenses, early retirement, incentive pay, severance pay, medical insurance, workforce safety and insurance benefits, disability insurance premiums or benefits, or salary received by a member in lieu of previously employer-provided fringe benefits under an agreement between an employee and a participating employer. Bonuses may be considered as salary under this section if reported and annualized pursuant to rules adopted by the board.
Questions & Answers: Government Employees
North Dakota Laws: Government Employees
U.S. Code Provisions: Government Employees
Federal Regulations: Government Employees