Current as of: 2009
Any employer, employee, or other person aggrieved by any decision of fact or law by the director as to his, her, or its liability to make contributions or to withhold and pay contributions, or as to the amount of contributions due from or to be withheld and paid by him, her, or it under chapters 39 â€“ 41 of this title, or by any refusal of the director to grant a refund or credit under Â§ 28-40-6, may, either on behalf of himself or herself, or on behalf of his or her employees or other persons aggrieved by the decision, or on behalf of both himself or herself and those employees or persons, within fifteen (15) days after notice of the decision has been mailed to his, her, or its last-known address, file an appeal in writing with the board of review, setting forth the grounds for the appeal. If an appeal is duly filed, the board of review shall set a time and place to give the appellant an opportunity to show cause as to why the decision of the director should be changed. Following that hearing, the board of review shall, as promptly as possible, notify the appellant and the director of its decision on the appeal. The decision shall become final unless the appellant or the director files an appeal to the courts in accordance with Â§Â§ 28-41-26 â€“ 28-41-29.
Questions & Answers: Employee Health and Safety
Rhode Island Laws: Employee Health and Safety
U.S. Code Provisions: Employee Health and Safety
Federal Regulations: Employee Health and Safety
Current as of: 2010
(a) The directors have the following duties and powers, and, in exercising such duties and powers shall abide by all statutes, regulations and procedures to which counties must generally adhere in making such transactions, to:
(1) Acquire, construct, purchase, operate, maintain, replace, repair, rebuild, extend and improve within the boundaries of the authority the properties and facilities described in § 64-2-503, and to make such properties and facilities available to any firm, person, public or private corporation, to any other shipper, consignee or carrier, and to charge for their use and for any and all services performed by the authority;
(2) Accept donations to the authority of cash, lands or other property to be used in the furtherance of the purpose of this part;
(3) Accept grants, loans or other financial assistance from any federal, state, county or municipal agency, or other aid for the acquisition or improvement of any of the facilities of the authority;
(4) Purchase, rent, lease or otherwise acquire any and all kinds of property, real, personal or mixed, tangible or intangible, whether or not subject to mortgages, liens, charges or other encumbrances, for the authority, that, in the judgment of the authority directors, is necessary or convenient to carry out the purpose of the authority. In exercising the powers granted in this subdivision (a)(4), the directors shall abide by all statutes, regulations and procedures to which counties must conform in such matters;
(5) Acquire property that is suitable for use by industries requiring access to any railroad track owned, operated or subsidized by the authority;
(6) (A) Make contracts and execute instruments containing such covenants, terms and conditions as, in the judgment of the directors, may be necessary, proper or advisable for the purpose of obtaining grants, loans or other financial assistance from any federal or state agency for or in the aid of the acquisition or improvement of the facilities provided in this part;
(B) Make all other contracts and execute all other instruments including, without limitation, licenses, long or short term leases, mortgages and deeds of trust, and other agreements relating to property and facilities under its jurisdiction, and the construction, operation, maintenance, repair and improvement thereof, as in the judgment of the board of directors may be necessary, proper or advisable for the furtherance of the purpose of this part, and the full exercise of the powers granted in this section; and
(C) Carry out and perform the covenants, terms and conditions of all such contracts or instruments;
(D) In exercising the powers granted in subdivisions (a)(6)(A)-(C), the directors shall abide by all statutes, regulations and procedures to which counties must conform in such matters;
(7) Establish schedules of tolls, fees, rates, charges and rentals for the use of the properties and facilities under its jurisdiction, and for services that it may render;
(8) Enter upon any lands and premises for the purpose of making surveys, soundings and examination in connection with the acquisition, improvement, operation or maintenance of any of the facilities of the authority;
(9) Promulgate and enforce such rules and regulations as the board of directors may deem proper for the orderly administration of the authority and the efficient operation of its facilities. In exercising the powers granted in this subdivision (a)(9), the directors shall abide by all statutes, regulations and procedures to which counties must conform in such matters; and
(10) Do all acts and things necessary, or deemed necessary or convenient, to carry out the powers expressly given in this part. This subdivision (a)(10) shall not be construed to authorize the directors, in doing all things necessary and convenient, to conduct the administrative and business affairs of the authority in a manner inconsistent with the statutes, regulations and procedures governing such matters in county government.
(b) Except as otherwise expressly provided in this part, the directors have full and exclusive control of and responsibility for the administration of properties and facilities constructed or acquired pursuant to this part. The authority may lease or license lands or facilities under its jurisdiction for operation by private persons or corporations. This subsection (b) shall not be construed to authorize the directors to exercise such authority in a manner inconsistent with the statutes, regulations and procedures governing such matters in county government.
[Acts 1983, ch. 302, §§ 5, 6.]
U.S. Code Provisions: Railroads