Current as of: 2009
(1) Every association, service corporation, savings and loan holding company, and subsidiary of any association or savings and loan holding company shall make an annual and those other reports as the Board may require, which must be in that form and filed on that date as may be prescribed by the Board.
(2) The Board, without previous notice, may examine or cause an examination to be made into the affairs of every association, savings and loan holding company, service corporation, or subsidiary of any association or savings and loan holding company subject to this chapter. If an audit at least once each year is not conducted in a manner satisfactory to the Board, the examination by the Board shall include an audit.
(3) In lieu of the examination, the Board may accept any examination made by a Federal Home Loan Bank, the Federal Home Loan Bank Board, the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation, or the savings association supervisory authority of other states. Two copies of any audit, signed and certified by the auditor making the audit, must be filed with the Board.
(4) Whenever, in the judgment of the Board, the condition of any association, savings and loan holding company or any subsidiary, or service corporation thereof renders it necessary or expedient to make an extra examination or audit or to devote any extraordinary attention to its affairs, the Board shall cause the same to be done. A full and complete copy of the report of all examinations and audits must be furnished to the examined institution. The report of examination or audit must be presented by the president to the board of directors of the examined association or company at its next regular or special meeting.
(5) The Board is authorized in connection with any examination or audit of any association, savings and loan holding company, or any service corporation or subsidiary thereof, to cause appraisals to be made of real estate or other property held by the company being audited or securing its assets when specific facts or information with respect to real estate or other property held, with respect to secured loans or lending, or when in the Board's opinion its policies, practices, operating results, and trends give evidence that its appraisals or valuations of ability to make payments may be excessive, that lending or investment may be a marginal nature, that appraisal policies and loan practices may not conform with generally accepted and established professional standards, or that real estate or other property held by it or assets secured by real estate or other property are overvalued. In lieu of causing these appraisals to be made, the Board may accept any appraisal caused to be made by a Federal Home Loan Bank, the Federal Home Loan Bank Board, or the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation. Unless otherwise ordered by the Board, appraisal of real estate or other property in connection with any examination or audit pursuant to this subsection must be made by a professional appraiser or appraisers selected by the Board, and the cost of the appraisal must be paid by the association, savings and loan holding company, or service corporation or subsidiary thereof directly to the appraiser or appraisers upon receipt by it of a statement of the cost bearing the written approval of the Board. A copy of the report of each appraisal caused to be made by the Board pursuant to this subsection must be furnished to the association, savings and loan holding company, or service corporation or subsidiary thereof within a reasonable time, not to exceed sixty days, following the completion of the appraisals and may in the case of an insured association be furnished to the insuring agency.
(6) The Board and any of its examiners or auditors have free access to all books and papers of an association, savings and loan holding company, and any subsidiary or service corporation thereof doing business in this State which relate to its business and to the books and papers kept by an officer, agent, or employee, relating to or upon which any record of its business is kept. The Board may summon witnesses and administer oaths or affirmations in the examination of the directors, officers, agents, or employees of any association, savings and loan holding company, any service corporation or subsidiary thereof, or any other person in relation to its affairs, transactions, and conditions and may require and compel the production of records, books, papers, contracts, or other documents by court order, if not voluntarily produced.
South Carolina Laws: Savings Banks
Federal Regulations: Savings Banks