Home  > For Everyone  > Family Law  > Divorce  > Child Custody  > Virginia Code 20-146.1 - Definitions 
Search the Virginia Code

Virginia Code 20-146.1 - Definitions

Virginia Code > Title 20 > Chapter 7.1 > § 20-146.1 - Definitions

Current as of: 2011

§ 20-146.1. Definitions.

In this act:

"Child" means an individual who has not attained eighteen years of age.

"Child custody determination" means a judgment, decree, or other order of a court providing for the legal custody, physical custody, or visitation with respect to a child. The term includes a permanent, temporary, initial, or modification order. The term does not include an order relating to child support or other monetary obligation of an individual.

"Child custody proceeding" means a proceeding in which legal custody, physical custody, or visitation with respect to a child is an issue. The term includes a proceeding for divorce, separation, neglect, abuse, dependency, guardianship, paternity, termination of parental rights, and protection from domestic violence, in which the issue may appear. The term does not include a proceeding involving juvenile delinquency, contractual emancipation, or enforcement under Article 3 (§ 20-146.22 et seq.) of this chapter.

"Commencement" means the filing of the first pleading in a proceeding.

"Court" means a court of competent jurisdiction as determined by otherwise applicable Virginia law to establish, enforce, or modify a child custody determination or an entity authorized under the law of another state to establish, enforce or modify a child custody determination.

"Home state" means the state in which a child lived with a parent or a person acting as a parent for at least six consecutive months immediately before the commencement of a child custody proceeding. In the case of a child less than six months of age, the term means the state in which the child lived from birth with any of the persons mentioned. A period of temporary absence of any of the mentioned persons is part of the period.

"Initial determination" means the first child custody determination concerning a particular child.

"Issuing court" means the court that makes a child custody determination for which enforcement is sought under this act.

"Issuing state" means the state in which a child custody determination is made.

"Modification" means a child custody determination that changes, replaces, supersedes, or is otherwise made after a previous determination concerning the same child, whether or not it is made by the court that made the previous determination.

"Person" means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, public corporation, or any other legal or commercial entity.

"Person acting as a parent" means a person, other than a parent, who has (i) physical custody of the child or has had physical custody for a period of six consecutive months, including any temporary absence, within one year immediately before the commencement of a child custody proceeding and (ii) been awarded legal custody by a court or claims a right to legal custody under the laws of this Commonwealth.

"Physical custody" means the physical care and supervision of a child.

"State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.

"Tribe" means an Indian tribe or band, or Alaskan Native village, which is recognized by federal law or formally acknowledged by a state.

(1979, c. 229, § 20-125; 2001, c. 305.)

previous sectionChapter 7.1 Table of Contentsnext section


Questions & Answers: Child Custody

My mother has basically abandoned my younger brother and I. I am 21 and he is 17, so I just need to know how to get temporary custody so I can take care of his school things and do...
I am needing to get temporary custody of my 17 year old brother so I can get him in school and for doctors. my mom has abandoned him with me to be with her drug addict boyfriend. H...
my mother and I went to court she was trying to get guardianship of my son the courts did not give it to her, but she took off with my son under my divorce decree I have primary ph...
I have a four year old boy and I wrote up temp custody to them so I could get my life straight but now they won't let me get him back nor see him what do I do?...
I am the primary custodial parent of my 6 year old daughter. Her father and I have joint custody. We currently reside in Louisiana. I am planning to get married to a man residing ...
I have been trying to seek grandparenting time with my granddaughter who will soon be 5 years old. I have cared for her since she was born. I do not have physical custody of her,...

Virginia Laws: Child Custody

Virginia Code Title 20 > Chapter 6.1 - Custody and Visitation Arrangements for Minor Children
Virginia Code Title 20 > Chapter 7.1 - Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act

Related Articles: Child Custody

 Child Custody
 Grandparent Visitation Rights
Comments (0)add comment

Post a comment or question below.
smaller | bigger

Email  Email Print  Print   Digg

Bergman & Yiangou
Ohio Bankruptcy and Criminal Defense Attorneys

3099 Sullivant Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43204
Practice Areas: Criminal Law, Family Law, Wills and Estates, Debt and Bankruptcy, Divorce, Driving While Intoxicated, Child Support, Child Custody, Alimony
Diamond, Burt & Akhkashian, LLP
Los Angeles Full Service Law Firm

1055 Wilshire Boulevard Suite 1996
Los Angeles, California 90017
Practice Areas: Criminal Law, Family Law, Real Estate, Debt and Bankruptcy, Personal Injury, Litigation, Commercial Real Estate, Divorce, Driving While Intoxicated, Child Support, Child Custody, Domestic Violence, Alimony, Immigration
Don Harris
New Mexico General Law Practice

11930 Menaul Blvd NE Suite 225B
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87112
Practice Areas: Family Law, Divorce