Virginia Code > Title 50 > Chapter 2.1 > § 50-73.54 - Application for certificate of registration
Current as of: 2011
§ 50-73.54. Application for certificate of registration.
A. A foreign limited partnership may apply to the Commission for a certificate of registration to transact business in the Commonwealth. The application shall be made on a form prescribed and furnished by the Commission, executed by a general partner and setting forth:
1. The name of the foreign limited partnership and, if the limited partnership is prevented by § 50-73.56 from using its own name in the Commonwealth, a designated name that satisfies the requirements of § 50-73.56;
2. The name of the state or other jurisdiction under whose law it is formed, the date of its formation, and if the limited partnership was previously authorized or registered to transact business in the Commonwealth as a foreign corporation, limited liability company, business trust, limited partnership, or registered limited liability partnership, with respect to every such prior authorization or registration, (i) the name of the entity; (ii) the entity type; (iii) the state or other jurisdiction of incorporation, organization or formation; and (iv) the entity identification number issued to it by the Commission;
3. The address of the proposed registered office of the foreign limited partnership in the Commonwealth, including both (i) the post office address, including the street and number, if any, and (ii) the name of the city or county in which it is located and the name of its proposed registered agent in the Commonwealth at such address and that the registered agent is either (a) an individual who is a resident of Virginia and either a general partner of the limited partnership, an officer or director of a corporate general partner of the limited partnership, a general partner of a general partner of the limited partnership, a member or manager of a limited liability company that is a general partner of the limited partnership, a trustee of a trust that is a general partner of the limited partnership, or a member of the Virginia State Bar or (b) a domestic or foreign stock or nonstock corporation, limited liability company or registered limited liability partnership authorized to transact business in the Commonwealth;
4. A statement that the Clerk of the Commission is irrevocably appointed the agent of the foreign limited partnership for service of process if the foreign limited partnership fails to maintain a registered agent in the Commonwealth as required by § 50-73.4, the registered agent's authority has been revoked, the registered agent has resigned or the registered agent cannot be found or served with the exercise of reasonable diligence;
5. The name and post office address, including the street and number, if any, of each general partner and, if a general partner is a business entity, the jurisdiction under whose law the general partner is incorporated, organized, or formed, and, if it is of record with the Commission, the identification number issued by the Commission to such general partner; and
6. The post office address, including the street and number, if any, of the foreign limited partnership's principal office, at which is kept a list of the names and addresses of the limited partners and their capital contributions, together with an undertaking by the foreign limited partnership to maintain those records until the foreign limited partnership's registration in the Commonwealth is canceled or withdrawn.
B. The foreign limited partnership shall deliver with the completed application a copy of its certificate of limited partnership or, if there is no such certificate, a copy of the partnership agreement and all amendments thereto filed in the foreign limited partnership's state or other jurisdiction of formation, duly authenticated by the secretary of state or other official having custody of the limited partnership records in the state or other jurisdiction under whose law it is formed.
C. If the Commission finds that the application complies with the requirements of law and that all required fees have been paid, it shall issue a certificate of registration to transact business in the Commonwealth.
(1985, c. 607; 1987, c. 702; 2002, c. 441; 2003, c. 378; 2004, c. 274; 2007, c. 631; 2010, c. 675.)
Questions & Answers: Limited Partnerships
Related Articles: Limited Partnerships