Current as of: 2009
(1) Catch record card information is necessary for proper management of the state's food fish and game fish species and shellfish resources. Catch record card administration shall be under rules adopted by the commission. There is no charge for an initial catch record card. Each subsequent or duplicate catch record card costs ten dollars.
(2) A license to take and possess Dungeness crab is only valid in Puget Sound waters east of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line if the fisher has in possession a valid catch record card officially endorsed for Dungeness crab. The endorsement shall cost no more than three dollars, including any or all fees authorized under RCW 77.32.050, when purchased for a personal use saltwater, combination, or shellfish and seaweed license. The endorsement shall cost no more than one dollar, including any or all fees authorized under RCW 77.32.050, when purchased for a temporary combination fishing license authorized under RCW 77.32.470(3)(a).
(3) Catch record cards issued with affixed temporary short-term charter stamp licenses are not subject to the ten-dollar charge nor to the Dungeness crab endorsement fee provided for in this section. Charter boat or guide operators issuing temporary short-term charter stamp licenses shall affix the stamp to each catch record card issued before fishing commences. Catch record cards issued with a temporary short-term charter stamp are valid for one day.
(4) The department shall include provisions for recording marked and unmarked salmon in catch record cards issued after March 31, 2004.
(5) The funds received from the sale of catch record cards and the Dungeness crab endorsement must be deposited into the state wildlife account created in RCW 77.12.170. The funds received from the Dungeness crab endorsement may be used only for the sampling, monitoring, and management of catch associated with the Dungeness crab recreational fisheries. Moneys allocated under this section shall supplement and not supplant other federal, state, and local funds used for Dungeness crab recreational fisheries management.
[2009 c 333 § 40; 2005 c 192 § 2; 2004 c 107 § 2; 2003 c 318 § 1; 1998 c 191 § 5; 1989 c 305 § 10. Formerly RCW 75.25.190.]
Notes:Intent -- 2004 c 107: "It is the intent of the legislature to optimize the management of the recreational allocation of Dungeness crab in Washington state. To accomplish this task, it is necessary to accurately and efficiently quantify the total catch by recreational fishers for Dungeness crab using data from catch record cards. Therefore, an endorsement fee on the catch record card paid at the time of purchasing a recreational fishing license will be required for Dungeness crab to specifically identify the recreational crab harvesting population. The endorsement fee will significantly improve the precision of the catch estimates by eliminating the current practice of sampling fishers who do not participate in the recreational crab fishery." [2004 c 107 § 1.]
Report -- 2004 c 107: "After the completion of one season using the Dungeness crab endorsement fee for Puget Sound recreational Dungeness crab fisheries, the department of fish and wildlife shall evaluate the effectiveness of the endorsement fee as a method for improving the accuracy of catch estimates for the Puget Sound recreational Dungeness crab fishery. The department's report shall include how the method has affected their ability to more accurately estimate the preseason allocation of the Puget Sound recreational Dungeness crab fishery and monitor in-season catch. The department shall report their findings to the appropriate committees of the legislature by May 15, 2006." [2004 c 107 § 3.]
Effective date -- 2004 c 107: "This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and takes effect May 15, 2004." [2004 c 107 § 4.]
Effective date -- 2003 c 318: "This act takes effect April 1, 2004." [2003 c 318 § 3.]
Effective date -- 1998 c 191: See note following RCW 77.32.400.