Maryland Code, Family Law 5-341
Maryland Code > Family Law > § 5-341
Current as of: 2010
(a) (1) This subsection does not limit the right of an individual to provide for distribution of property by will.
(2) Except as provided in § 2-123 of the Real Property Article, after a juvenile court enters an order for adoption under this Part III of this subtitle:
(i) the adoptee:
1. is the child of the adoptive parent for all intents and purposes; and
2. is entitled to all of the rights and privileges of and is subject to all of the obligations of offspring born to the adoptive parent;
(ii) each of the adoptee’s living parents is:
1. relieved of all parental duties and obligations to the adoptee; and
2. divested of all parental rights as to the adoptee; and
(iii) the Estates and Trusts Article shall govern all of the rights of inheritance between the adoptee and parental relatives.
(b) An order for adoption under this Part III of this subtitle terminates all pending CINA cases as to the adoptee.
(c) Adoption of an adult has the same legal effect as adoption of a minor.
(d) (1) When a juvenile court enters an order for a child’s adoption under this Part III of this subtitle, the juvenile court shall send notice to:
(i) each juvenile court that has a pending CINA case as to the adoptee;
(ii) each of the child’s living, former parents who has not waived the right to notice;
(iii) each living parent’s last attorney of record in the CINA case; and
(iv) the child’s last attorney of record in the CINA case.
(2) Service on a parent under this subsection shall be at the parent’s last address known to the juvenile court.
Prev | Next
Questions & Answers: Family Law
LawServer is for purposes of information only and is no substitute for legal advice.
© 2013 LawServer, Inc. All rights reserved