Rhode Island General Laws 23-18.6.1-7. Refusal to make anatomical gift -- Effect of refusal
Rhode Island General Laws > Title 23 > Chapter 23-18.6.1 > § 23-18.6.1-7 - Refusal to make anatomical gift -- Effect of refusal
Current as of: 2009
(a) An individual may refuse to make an anatomical gift of the individual's body or part by:
(1) A record signed by:
(i) The individual; or
(ii) Subject to subsection (b), another individual acting at the direction of the individual if the individual is physically unable to sign;
(2) The individual's will, whether or not the will is admitted to probate or invalidated after the individual's death; or
(3) Any form of communication made by the individual during the individual's terminal illness or injury addressed to at least two (2) adults, at least one of whom is a disinterested witness.
(b) A record signed pursuant to paragraph (a)(1)(ii) must:
(1) Be witnessed by at least two (2) adults, at least one of whom is a disinterested witness, who have signed at the request of the individual; and
(2) State that it has been signed and witnessed as provided in paragraph (1).
(c) An individual who has made a refusal may amend or revoke the refusal:
(1) In the manner provided in subsection (a) for making a refusal;
(2) By subsequently making an anatomical gift pursuant to the provisions of this chapter that is inconsistent with the refusal; or
(3) By destroying or canceling the record evidencing the refusal, or the portion of the record used to make the refusal, with the intent to revoke the refusal.
(d) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, in the absence of an express, contrary indication by the individual set forth in the refusal, an individual's unrevoked refusal to make an anatomical gift of the individual's body or part bars all other persons from making an anatomical gift of the individual's body or part.
Rhode Island Laws: Anatomical Gifts
Federal Regulations: Anatomical Gifts
LawServer is for purposes of information only and is no substitute for legal advice.
© 2013 LawServer, Inc. All rights reserved