North Dakota Code 51-30-01 - Definitions
North Dakota Code > Title 51 > Chapter 51-30 > § 51-30-01 - Definitions
Current as of: 2009
In this chapter, unless the context or subject matter otherwise requires:
1. "Breach of the security system" means unauthorized acquisition of computerized data when access to personal information has not been secured by encryption or by any other method or technology that renders the electronic files, media, or data bases unreadable or unusable. Good-faith acquisition of personal information by an employee or agent of the person is not a breach of the security of the system, if the personal information is not used or subject to further unauthorized disclosure.
2. a. "Personal information" means an individual's first name or first initial and last name in combination with any of the following data elements, when the name and the data elements are not encrypted:
(1) The individual's social security number;
(2) The operator's license number assigned to an individual by the department of transportation under section 39-06-14;
(3) A nondriver color photo identification card number assigned to the individual by the department of transportation under section 39-06-03.1;
(4) The individual's financial institution account number, credit card number, or debit card number in combination with any required security code, access code, or password that would permit access to an individual's financial accounts;
(5) The individual's date of birth;
(6) The maiden name of the individual's mother;
(7) An identification number assigned to the individual by the individual's employer; or
(8) The individual's digitized or other electronic signature.
b. "Personal information" does not include publicly available information that is lawfully made available to the general public from federal, state, or local government records.
Related Articles: Security Breach Notification
LawServer is for purposes of information only and is no substitute for legal advice.
© 2013 LawServer, Inc. All rights reserved