(a) Definitions generally applicable to the Thrift Savings Plan are set forth at 5 CFR 1690.1.
Terms Used In 5 CFR 1603.1
- individual account: means the account established for a participant in the Thrift Savings Plan under 5 U. See 5 CFR 1690.1
- Military service: means service that is creditable under 37 U. See 5 CFR 1603.1
- Plan: means the Thrift Savings Plan established under subchapters III and VII of the Federal Employees' Retirement System Act of 1986, 5 U. See 5 CFR 1690.1
- Ready Reserve: means those members of the uniformed services described at 10 U. See 5 CFR 1690.1
- Year of service: means one full calendar year of service. See 5 CFR 1603.1
(b) As used in this part:
Civilian service means:
(1) Any non-military service that is creditable under either 5 U.S.C. chapter 83, subchapter III, or 5 U.S.C. 8411. However, that service is to be determined without regard to any time limitations, any deposit or redeposit requirements contained in those statutory provisions after performing the service involved, or any requirement that the individual give written notice of that individual’s desire to become subject to the retirement system established by 5 U.S.C. chapters 83 or 84; or
(2) Any military service creditable under the provisions of 5 U.S.C. 8432b(h)(1) and the regulations at 5 CFR part 1620, subpart H.
Uniformed services means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Public Health Service, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, as well as members of the Ready Reserve including the National Guard.
Military service means service that is creditable under 37 U.S.C. 205.
Vested means those amounts in an individual account which are nonforfeitable.
Year of service means one full calendar year of service.
[68 FR 35497, June 13, 2003, as amended at 82 FR 60104, Dec. 19, 2017]