To be eligible for an Energy Audit or a REDA grant, the grant funds for a project must be used by the grantee to assist Agricultural Producers or Rural Small Businesses in one or both of the purposes specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section, and must also comply with paragraphs (c) through (f) of this section.
Terms Used In 7 CFR 4280.187
- Agency: The Rural Business-Cooperative Service (RBS) or successor agency assigned by the Secretary of Agriculture to administer the Rural Energy for America Program. See 7 CFR 4280.103
- Agricultural Producer: An individual or entity directly engaged in the production of agricultural products, including crops (including farming). See 7 CFR 4280.103
- Applicant: (1) Except for EA and REDA grants, the Agricultural Producer or Rural Small Business that is seeking a grant, guaranteed loan, or a combination of a grant and loan, under this subpart. See 7 CFR 4280.103
- Energy Audit: A comprehensive report that meets an Agency-approved standard prepared by an Energy Auditor or an individual supervised by an Energy Auditor that documents current energy usage. See 7 CFR 4280.103
- Renewable Energy: Energy derived from:
(1) A wind, solar, Renewable Biomass, ocean (including tidal, wave, current, and thermal), geothermal or Hydroelectric Source. See 7 CFR 4280.103
- State: Any of the 50 States of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the U. See 7 CFR 4280.103
(a) Conducting and promoting Energy Audits.
(b) Conducting and promoting REDA by providing to Agricultural Producers and Rural Small Businesses recommendations and information on how to improve the energy efficiency of their operations and to use Renewable Energy technologies and resources in their operations.
(c) Energy Audit and REDA can be provided only to a project located in a Rural Area unless the grantee of such project is an Agricultural Producer. If the project is owned by an Agricultural Producer, the project for which such services are being provided may be located in either a Rural or non-Rural Area. If the Agricultural Producer’s project is in a non-Rural Area, then the Energy Audit or REDA can only be for an EEI or RES on components that are directly related to and their use and purpose is limited to the Agricultural Producer’s project, such as vertically integrated operations, that are part of and co-located with the agricultural production operation.
(d) The Energy Audit or REDA must be provided to a recipient in a State.
(e) The Applicant must have a place of business in a State.
(f) The Applicant is cautioned against taking any actions or incurring any obligations prior to the Agency completing the environmental review that would either limit the range of alternatives to be considered or that would have an adverse effect on the environment, such as the initiation of construction. If the Applicant takes any such actions or incurs any such obligations, it could result in project ineligibility.