Terms Used In CFR > Title 46 > Chapter I > Subchapter B > Part 16 > Subpart B
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annual percentage rate: The cost of credit at a yearly rate. It is calculated in a standard way, taking the average compound interest rate over the term of the loan so borrowers can compare loans. Lenders are required by law to disclose a card account's APR. Source: FDIC
- Credential: means any or all of the following:
(1) Merchant mariner's document. See 46 CFR 10.107
- Dangerous drug: means a narcotic drug, a controlled substance, or a controlled-substance analogue (as defined in section 102 of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse and Control Act of 1970 (21 U. See 46 CFR 10.107
- Drug test: means a chemical test of an individual's urine for evidence of dangerous drug use. See 46 CFR 10.107
- Endorsement: is a statement of a mariner's qualifications and, for the purposes of this chapter, includes only those endorsements listed in §10. See 46 CFR 10.107
- Engine department: means the department aboard a ship responsible for the main propulsion and auxiliary systems, and other mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and refrigeration systems, including deck machinery and cargo-handling equipment. See 46 CFR 10.107
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fails a chemical test for dangerous drugs: means that the result of a chemical test conducted under 49 CFR part 40 was reported as "positive" by a Medical Review Officer because the chemical test indicated the presence of a dangerous drug at a level equal to or exceeding the levels established in 49 CFR part 40. See 46 CFR 10.107
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lifeboatman: means a mariner who is qualified to take charge of, lower, and operate survival craft and related survival equipment on a vessel. See 46 CFR 10.107
- Master: means the officer having command of a vessel. See 46 CFR 10.107
- Passes a chemical test for dangerous drugs: means that the result of a chemical test conducted according to 49 CFR part 40 is reported as "negative" by a Medical Review Officer according to that part. See 46 CFR 10.107
- Raise of grade: means an increase in the level of authority and responsibility associated with an officer or rating endorsement, such as from mate to master or second assistant engineer to first assistant engineer. See 46 CFR 10.107
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Year: means 360 days for the purpose of complying with the service requirements of this subchapter. See 46 CFR 10.107