|Part 42||Domestic and Foreign Voyages by Sea|
|Part 44||Special Service Limited Domestic Voyages|
|Part 45||Great Lakes Load Lines|
|Part 46||Subdivision Load Lines for Passenger Vessels|
|Part 47||Combination Load Lines|
Terms Used In CFR > Title 46 > Chapter I > Subchapter E - Load Lines
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Amidships: means the middle of the length (L). See 46 CFR 45.3
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Casual use: means activities ordinarily resulting in no or negligible disturbance of the public lands or resources. See 43 CFR 3809.5
- Certificate: is a document issued by SBA or its agent representing ownership of all or part of a Debenture Pool. See 13 CFR 120.802
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- credential: means any or all of the following:
(a) Merchant mariner's document. See 46 CFR 42.05-27
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Debenture: is an obligation issued by a CDC and guaranteed 100 percent by SBA, the proceeds of which are used to fund a 504 loan. See 13 CFR 120.802
- Enclosed superstructure: means a superstructure with enclosing bulkheads. See 46 CFR 45.3
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- existing vessel: is a vessel the keel of which was laid, or which was at a similar stage of construction, prior to July 21, 1968. See 46 CFR 42.05-30
- Exposed positions: means exposed to weather and sea. See 46 CFR 45.3
- Freeboard: means the distance measured vertically downwards amidships from the upper edge of the deck line to the upper edge of the related load line. See 46 CFR 45.3
- Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- international voyage: as used in this part shall have the same meaning as the term international voyage in Article 2(4) of the 1966 Convention. See 46 CFR 42.05-45
- Job Opportunity: is a full time (or equivalent) permanent job created within two years of receipt of 504 funds, or retained in the community because of a 504 loan. See 13 CFR 120.802
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Local Economic Area: is an area, as determined by SBA, that is in a State other than the State in which an existing CDC (or an applicant applying to become a CDC) is incorporated, is contiguous to the CDC's existing Area of Operations (or the applicant's proposed Area of Operations) of its State of incorporation, and is a part of a local trade area that is contiguous to the CDC's Area of Operations (or applicant's proposed Area of Operations) of its State of incorporation. See 13 CFR 120.802
- Media entity: means any person or entity, that actively gathers information of potential interest to a segment of the public, turns gathered information into a distinct work, or distributes that work to an audience within the United States, and otherwise serves the purposes described in §502. See 22 CFR 502.2
- Moulded Depth: means the vertical distance measured amidships from the top of the keel to the top of the freeboard deck beam at side except that--
(1) In vessels of other than metal construction, the distance is measured from the lower edge of the keel rabbet. See 46 CFR 45.3
- Multi-State CDC: is a CDC that is incorporated in one State and is authorized by SBA to operate as a CDC in a State contiguous to its State of incorporation beyond any contiguous Local Economic Areas. See 13 CFR 120.802
- new vessel: means a vessel, the keel of which is laid, or which is at a similar stage of construction, on or after July 21, 1968. See 46 CFR 42.05-50
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Operations: means all functions, work, facilities, and activities on public lands in connection with prospecting, exploration, discovery and assessment work, development, extraction, and processing of mineral deposits locatable under the mining laws. See 43 CFR 3809.5
- Operator: means a person conducting or proposing to conduct operations. See 43 CFR 3809.5
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Perpendiculars: means the forward and after perpendiculars at the forward and after ends of the length (L). See 46 CFR 45.3
- Person: means any individual, firm, corporation, association, partnership, trust, consortium, joint venture, or any other entity conducting operations on public lands. See 43 CFR 3809.5
- Priority CDC: is a CDC certified to participate on a permanent basis in the 504 program (see §120. See 13 CFR 120.802
- Program materials: means radio broadcasts, television broadcasts, and Internet content that the Agency disseminates to audiences outside of the United States, pursuant to: The U. See 22 CFR 502.2
- Project area: means the area of land upon which the operator conducts operations, including the area required for construction or maintenance of roads, transmission lines, pipelines, or other means of access by the operator. See 43 CFR 3809.5
- Public lands: means any land and interest in land outside of Alaska owned by the United States and administered by the Secretary of the Interior through the Bureau of Land Management, except lands held for the benefit of Indians. See 43 CFR 4100.0-5
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Recess: A temporary interruption of the legislative business.
- Reclamation: means taking measures required by this subpart following disturbance of public lands caused by operations to meet applicable performance standards and achieve conditions required by BLM at the conclusion of operations. See 43 CFR 3809.5
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Requestor: means any private person or entity within the United States that requests program materials from the Agency. See 22 CFR 502.2
- solely navigating the Great Lakes: includes any special service coastwise navigation performed by the vessel. See 46 CFR 42.05-40
- Steel: means steel and materials with which structures can be made equivalent to steel with respect to such parameters as yield strength, total deflection, flexural life, or resistance to galvanic or stress corrosion. See 46 CFR 45.3
- Superstructure: means a deck structure on the freeboard deck, extending from side to side of the ship or with the side plating not being inboard of the shell plating more than 4 percent of the breadth (B). See 46 CFR 45.3
- Unnecessary or undue degradation: means conditions, activities, or practices that:
(1) Fail to comply with one or more of the following: the performance standards in §3809. See 43 CFR 3809.5
- Watertight: means designed to withstand a static head of water. See 46 CFR 45.3
- Weathertight: means that in any sea conditions water will not penetrate into the ship. See 46 CFR 45.3