|§ 4581||Cease and desist proceedings|
|§ 4583||Judicial review|
|§ 4584||Enforcement and jurisdiction|
|§ 4585||Civil money penalties|
|§ 4586||Public disclosure of final orders and agreements|
|§ 4587||Notice of service|
|§ 4588||Subpoena authority|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 12 > Chapter 46 > Subchapter I > Part B > Subpart 3
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- association: when used in reference to a corporation, shall be deemed to embrace the words "successors and assigns of such company or association" in like manner as if these last-named words, or words of similar import, were expressed. See 1 USC 5
- Board: means the United Soybean Board established under section 6304(b) of this title. See 7 USC 6302
- borrower: means any farm borrower who has outstanding obligations to the Secretary under any farmer program loan, without regard to whether the loan has been accelerated, but does not include any farm borrower all of whose loans and accounts have been foreclosed on or liquidated, voluntarily or otherwise. See 7 USC 1991
- commerce: includes interstate, foreign, and intrastate commerce. See 7 USC 6302
- Committee: means the Soybean Program Coordinating Committee established under section 6304(g) of this title. See 7 USC 6302
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- consumer information: means information that will assist consumers and other persons in making evaluations and decisions regarding the purchase, preparation, and use of soybeans or soybean products. See 7 USC 6302
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes a parish, or any other equivalent subdivision of a State or Territory of the United States. See 1 USC 2
- debt forgiveness: means reducing or terminating a farmer program loan made or guaranteed under this chapter, in a manner that results in a loss to the Secretary, through--
(i) writing down or writing off a loan under section 2001 of this title. See 7 USC 1991
- Department: means the Department of Agriculture. See 7 USC 6302
- direct loan: means a loan made or insured from funds in the account created by section 1929 of this title. See 7 USC 1991
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- first purchaser: means --
(A) except as provided in subparagraph (B), any person buying or otherwise acquiring from a producer soybeans produced by such producer. See 7 USC 6302
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 1 USC 8
- industry information: means information and programs that will lead to the development of new markets, new marketing strategies, or increased efficiency for the soybean industry, and activities to enhance the image of the soybean industry. See 7 USC 6302
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- marketing: means the sale or other disposition of soybeans or soybean products in any channel of commerce. See 7 USC 6302
- net market price: means --
(A) except as provided in subparagraph (B), the sales price or other value received by a producer for soybeans after adjustments for any premium or discount based on grading or quality factors, as determined by the Secretary. See 7 USC 6302
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 1 USC 1
- order: means an order issued under section 6303 of this title. See 7 USC 6302
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: means any individual, group of individuals, partnership, corporation, association, cooperative, or any other legal entity. See 7 USC 6302
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- producer: means any person engaged in the growing of soybeans in the United States who owns, or who shares the ownership and risk of loss of, such soybeans. See 7 USC 6302
- promotion: means any action, including paid advertising, technical assistance, and trade servicing activities, to enhance the image or desirability of soybeans or soybean products in domestic and foreign markets, and any activity designed to communicate to consumers, importers, processors, wholesalers, retailers, government officials, or others information relating to the positive attributes of soybeans or soybean products or the benefits of importation, use, or distribution of soybeans and soybean products. See 7 USC 6302
- qualified State soybean board: means a State soybean promotion entity that is authorized by State law. See 7 USC 6302
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remand: When an appellate court sends a case back to a lower court for further proceedings.
- research: means any type of study to advance the image, desirability, marketability, production, product development, quality, or functional or nutritional value of soybeans or soybean products, including any research activity designed to identify and analyze barriers to export sales of soybeans and soybean products. See 7 USC 6302
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Agriculture. See 7 USC 6302
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- soybean products: means products produced in whole or in part from soybeans or soybean by-products. See 7 USC 6302
- soybeans: means all varieties of Glycine max or Glycine soya. See 7 USC 6302
- State: shall include each of the several States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands of the United States, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and, to the extent the Secretary determines it to be feasible and appropriate, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. See 7 USC 1991
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Subpoena duces tecum: A command to a witness to produce documents.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- United States: consist of the 50 States of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See 7 USC 6302
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See 1 USC 1