(a) This section shall be known as the Cope and Norris Act.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 45-37-170
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(b) It shall be unlawful for the owner or other person in charge or control of a building, lot, or other premises of two acres or less within the unincorporated territory of Jefferson County to fail to keep the lot or premises of two acres or less clean and free from garbage, refuse, litter, junk, debris, salvaged materials, household furniture, trash, used motor vehicle tires, inoperable motor vehicles, kitchen and other household appliances, rags, paper, cardboard and other nondecorative matter including any materials within which water may accumulate or which may shelter or encourage the growth of insects or rodents, or materials which generate obnoxious odors, or which offend the esthetics of the community and thereby cause a substantial diminution in the value of other property nearby. This subsection shall not apply to a licensed business if such activity is a reasonably necessary incident in the operation of the business and is done in a manner which does not allow the accumulation of water within which mosquito larvae may live or encourage the growth of insects or rodents, or both. Each day such condition is maintained shall constitute a separate offense.
(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to park, leave, or store upon any place or premises of two acres or less within the unincorporated territory of Jefferson County more than one motor vehicle which is not currently and validly registered and tagged as required by this code. This subsection shall not apply to a licensed business if such parking, leaving, or storing of such motor vehicle is a reasonably necessary incident in the operation of the business. Each day such condition is maintained shall constitute a separate offense.
(d)(1) This section shall be enforced by the Jefferson County Commission. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department and the Jefferson County Health Department shall provide assistance as requested.
(2) Anyone found in violation of this section, upon conviction, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and be fined one hundred dollars ($100) for each such violation. If anyone is fined three times for the same violation, then the enforcer of this section shall remedy the problem and the violator shall pay the actual cost of the remedy plus three hundred dollars ($300).