Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 16 > Chapter 61A
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- oath: includes affirmation. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- preceding: means next before. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.