The board shall perform the following duties, subject to the other provisions of this chapter:
(1) Administer fully this chapter and any rules, regulations, or guidelines promulgated by the board pursuant to this chapter.
(2) Prescribe, make, adopt, and amend such rules and regulations pursuant to the Alabama Administrative Procedure Act as the board deems necessary to carry out the provisions of this chapter.
(3) Institute and conduct hearings involving charges against individuals issued a certificate of registration or authorized by the board as registered interior designers, as further provided in this chapter.
(4) Issue seals and/or certificates of registration to individuals approved by the board as registered interior designers in accordance with this chapter for which an annual fee, in an amount to be determined by the board, shall be assessed and collected.
(5) Specify the design of official seals to be used by persons authorized as registered interior designers by the board. Each person authorized as a registered interior designer shall purchase from the board such seal with which he or she shall identify all plans, specifications, drawings, reports, or related documents prepared or issued by him or her. The seal shall contain the name of the person authorized as a registered interior designer together with any number or identifying information issued by the board. No individual shall use a seal unless the individual at that time is then authorized as a registered interior designer, including all required renewals thereof.
(6) Institute legal proceedings for violations of this chapter.
(7) Grant, deny, revoke, suspend, or reinstate certificates of registration and/or seals and authorizations issued to registered interior designers in conformity with this chapter.
(8) Keep a record of its proceedings and make an annual report thereon to the Governor and the Legislature.
(9) For the purpose of enforcing this chapter, conduct investigations and hold hearings concerning any matter covered by this chapter at any time or place within the State of Alabama; administer oaths and affirmations, examine witnesses, and receive evidence; and seek legal or equitable relief from the state circuit courts against persons who violate this chapter.
(10) Establish standards and requirements of continuing education as a prerequisite to the renewal of a certificate of registration and, if applicable, the renewal of authorization as a registered interior designer on and after August 1, 2001.
(11) Maintain an official roster showing the name, registration number, and address of all individuals receiving a certificate of registration and/or seal and authorization as a registered interior designer from the board, together with the date, term of the issuance, and the place or places of business where each respective individual is engaged in the practice of interior design, and a record of all renewals, revocations, suspensions, reinstatements, or other actions taken in regard to such persons.
(12) When necessary, require the attendance of witnesses and the production of all necessary papers, books, records, documentary evidence, and materials in any hearing, investigation, or other proceeding before the board, by means of discovery as provided in the Alabama Rules of Civil Procedure.
(13) Employ attorneys, accountants, and other persons as may be necessary to assist the board in carrying out this chapter when there is a need for such services and when funds are available for such services.
(14) Adopt rules providing for individuals who have previously obtained a certificate of registration and/or authorization as a registered interior designer to be classified inactive and to avoid the payment of annual fees so long as these individuals do not engage in the practice of interior design during inactive status.
(15) Issue certificates of registration in accordance with this chapter for which an annual fee, in an amount to be determined by the board, shall be assessed and collected.
(16) Establish procedures for and assess fees for the administration of this chapter, by administrative rules, including, but not limited to, the following items: The application and examination of applicants for certificates of registration; the application and examination of applicants for registered interior designer authorization; late fees; continuing education; and hearings before the board.