The department may vacate land, or part of it, or rights in land acquired for public work purposes by executing and recording a deed in the appropriate recording district. Upon vacating, title reverts to the persons, heirs, successors, or assigns in whom it was vested at the time of the taking. The department may transfer land considered no longer necessary for public works purposes to the Department of Natural Resources for disposal. The proceeds of disposal by the Department of Natural Resources shall be credited to the funds from which the purchase was originally made.