The superintendent of public instruction shall:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 15-779.04
- gifted education: means appropriate academic course offerings and services that are required to provide an educational program that is an integral part of the regular school day and that is commensurate with the academic abilities and potential of a gifted pupil. See Arizona Laws 15-779
- school district: means a political subdivision of this state with geographic boundaries organized for the purpose of the administration, support and maintenance of the public schools or an accommodation school. See Arizona Laws 15-101
1. Apportion monies to each school district for which an application to offer programs for gifted pupils has been approved by the department of education pursuant to rules adopted by the state board of education.
2. On request, assist school district governing boards to design, implement and evaluate programs for gifted pupils.
3. Ensure that the expenditure of monies authorized for programs for gifted pupils is consistent with this article.
4. Encourage the development of locally designed, innovative programs for gifted pupils.
5. Assist school districts in the development and implementation of staff development programs for administrators, teachers and counselors related to gifted pupils.
6. Encourage the development of procedures that assure the ongoing participation of parents of gifted pupils in the planning and evaluation of gifted education programs and services.