For the purposes of this article:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 20-2530
- Adult: means a person who has attained eighteen years of age. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Denial: means a direct or indirect determination regarding all or part of a request for any service or a direct determination regarding a claim that may trigger a request for review or reconsideration. See Arizona Laws 20-2501
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Health care insurer: means a disability insurer, group disability insurer, blanket disability insurer, health care services organization, hospital service corporation, prepaid dental plan organization, medical service corporation, dental service corporation or optometric service corporation or a hospital, medical, dental and optometric service corporation. See Arizona Laws 20-2501
- Indirect denial: means a failure to communicate authorization or nonauthorization to the member by the utilization review agent within ten business days after the utilization review agent receives the request for a covered service. See Arizona Laws 20-2501
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Provider: means the physician or other licensed practitioner identified to the utilization review agent as having primary responsibility for providing care, treatment and services rendered to a patient. See Arizona Laws 20-2501
- Utilization review: means a system for reviewing the appropriate and efficient allocation of inpatient hospital resources, inpatient medical services and outpatient surgery services that are being given or are proposed to be given to a patient, and of any medical, surgical and health care services or claims for services that may be covered by a health care insurer depending on determinable contingencies, including without limitation outpatient services, in-office consultations with medical specialists, specialized diagnostic testing, mental health services, emergency care and inpatient and outpatient hospital services. See Arizona Laws 20-2501
- Utilization review agent: means a person or entity that performs utilization review. See Arizona Laws 20-2501
- Utilization review plan: means a summary description of the utilization review guidelines, protocols, procedures and written standards and criteria of a utilization review agent. See Arizona Laws 20-2501
1. "Member" means a person who is covered under a health care plan provided by a health care insurer or that person’s treating provider, parent, legal guardian, surrogate who is authorized to make health care decisions for that person by a power of attorney, a court order or the provisions of section 36-3231, or agent who is an adult and who has the authority to make health care treatment decisions for that person pursuant to a health care power of attorney.
2. "Utilization review agent" means those persons and entities that perform utilization review as defined in section 20-2501 and includes any health care insurer whose utilization review plan includes the direct or indirect denial of requested medical or health care services or the denial of claims.