|Article 1||General Provisions||6-1251 – 6-1263|
Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 6 > Chapter 12.1
- Abstract of title: means a written representation that is provided pursuant to a written or oral contract that is intended to be relied on by the person who has contracted for the receipt of the representation. See Arizona Laws 20-1562
- Act: means a bodily movement. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Alternative fuel: means :
(a) Electricity. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Amortization: Paying off a loan by regular installments.
- Annual percentage rate: The cost of credit at a yearly rate. It is calculated in a standard way, taking the average compound interest rate over the term of the loan so borrowers can compare loans. Lenders are required by law to disclose a card account's APR. Source: FDIC
- Applicant: means :
(a) In the case of an individual long-term care insurance policy, the person who seeks to contract for such benefits. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Associate director: means the associate director of the division. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Authorized real estate security: means either:
(a) Any amortized note, bond or other evidence of indebtedness that is secured by both a mortgage, deed of trust or other instrument that constitutes or is equivalent to a first lien or charge on real estate and the balance on any pledged cash account or collateralized guaranty agreement that is contracted for by a parent, blood relative, employer or nonprofit corporation for the benefit of the borrower if all of the following apply:
(i) The loan amount does not exceed one hundred three per cent of the fair market value of the combined security at the time that the loan is made where any percentage greater than one hundred per cent is used to finance fees and closing costs on the indebtedness. See Arizona Laws 20-1541
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- basic coverage: means any of the following:
1. See Arizona Laws 20-1631
- Branch: means any banking office other than the principal banking office. See Arizona Laws 6-101
- Branch office: means any fixed place of business, other than the primary office, where records are kept, mail is received, statements are rendered, money is collected, requests for service or bids are received, information pertaining to the business of pest management is given or pesticides are stored or disposed of. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Business of pest management: means engaging in, offering to engage in, advertising for, soliciting or performing pest management, including any of the following:
(a) Identifying infestations or making inspections for the purpose of identifying or attempting to identify infestations. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Business of title insurance: shall be deemed to be:
(a) The making as insurer, guarantor or surety, or proposing to make as insurer, guarantor or surety, of any contract or policy of title insurance. See Arizona Laws 20-1562
- Cancellation: means termination of a policy at a date other than its expiration date. See Arizona Laws 20-1672
- Certificate: means a certificate issued under a group long-term care insurance policy, which group policy has been delivered or issued for delivery in this state. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Certification: means the process of determining the accuracy of a commercial device to the standards of this state by a registered service representative or the division. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Certified applicator: means an individual who is licensed by the division to provide pest management services in accordance with this chapter. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Certified qualified applicator: means a certified applicator who is eligible to act as a qualifying party. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Check: means a draft signed by the maker and made payable to a person that is licensed pursuant to this chapter with the name of the maker preprinted on the face of the check. See Arizona Laws 6-1251
- Chronically ill individual: means any individual who has been certified by a licensed health care practitioner as meeting the definition of illness established by title III of the health insurance portability and accountability act of 1996 (P. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Clean air act: means the clean air act of 1963 (P. See Arizona Laws 3-3511
- Commercial device: means any weighing, measuring, metering or counting device that is used to determine the direct cost of things sold or offered or exposed for sale, or used to establish a fee for service if the cost is based on weight, measure or count, except that it does not include those devices used for in-house packaging, inventory control or law enforcement purposes. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- commission: means the department of insurance. See Arizona Laws 20-101
- Commodity: means any merchandise, product or substance produced or distributed for sale to or use by others. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Conduct: means an act or omission and its accompanying culpable mental state. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Consumer credit insurance: means any one or a combination of the following:
(a) Credit life insurance. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Contingency reserve: means an additional premium reserve established to protect policyholders against the effect of adverse economic cycles. See Arizona Laws 20-1541
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Credit disability insurance: means insurance on a debtor to provide indemnity for payments becoming due or outstanding on a specific loan or other credit transaction while the debtor is a person with a disability as defined in the policy or certificate. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Credit life insurance: means insurance on the life of a debtor pursuant to or in connection with a specific loan or other credit transaction that provides for the satisfaction of a debt, in whole or in part, on the death of an insured debtor. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Credit report: A detailed report of an individual's credit history prepared by a credit bureau and used by a lender in determining a loan applicant's creditworthiness. Source: OCC
- Credit unemployment insurance: means casualty insurance on a debtor to provide indemnity for payments or debt becoming due on a specific loan or other credit transaction while the debtor is involuntarily unemployed as defined in the policy. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Creditor: means the lender of money or vendor or lessor of goods, services, property, rights or privileges, including a lessor under a lease intended as a security, where payment is arranged through a credit transaction. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Crime: means a misdemeanor or a felony. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Dangerous instrument: means anything that under the circumstances in which it is used, attempted to be used or threatened to be used is readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Deadly weapon: means anything designed for lethal use, including a firearm. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Debtor: means a borrower of money or a person possessing a commitment for a loan of certain funds or a purchaser or lessee of goods, services, property, rights or privileges for which payment is arranged through a credit transaction. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Deferred presentment services: means a transaction pursuant to a written agreement in which the licensee accepts a check and agrees to hold the check for at least five days before presentment for payment or deposit. See Arizona Laws 6-1251
- Department: means the department of financial institutions. See Arizona Laws 6-101
- Diesel fuel: means a refined middle distillate that is used as a fuel in a compression-ignition internal combustion engine and that meets the specifications of ASTM D975. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Direct response solicitation: means any offer by an insurer to persons in this state, either directly or through a third party, to effect life or health insurance coverage which enables the individual to apply or enroll for the insurance on the basis of the offer. See Arizona Laws 20-1661
- Director: means the director of insurance. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Director: means the director of the department of insurance. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Division: means the weights and measures services division of the department. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Division: means the pest management division of the department. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Expiration date: means the date on which coverage under a policy ends as set forth in the policy. See Arizona Laws 20-1672
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Felony: means an offense for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment in the custody of the state department of corrections is authorized by any law of this state. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Final grade treatment: means the establishment of a complete vertical barrier at the exterior of foundation walls in stem wall or monolithic construction. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Finance charge: The total cost of credit a customer must pay on a consumer loan, including interest. The Truth in Lending Act requires disclosure of the finance charge. Source: OCC
- Financial institution: means banks, trust companies, savings and loan associations, credit unions, consumer lenders, international banking facilities and financial institution holding companies under the jurisdiction of the department. See Arizona Laws 6-101
- Fleet owner: means a registered owner or lessee of at least twenty-five vehicles. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Gasoline: means a volatile, highly flammable liquid mixture of hydrocarbons that does not contain more than five one-hundredths grams of lead for each United States gallon, that is produced, refined, manufactured, blended, distilled or compounded from petroleum, natural gas, oil, shale oils or coal and other flammable liquids free from undissolved water, sediment or suspended matter, with or without additives, and that is commonly used as a fuel for spark-ignition internal combustion engines. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Gasoline dispensing site: means any site where gasoline is dispensed into a motor vehicle fuel tank from any stationary storage vessel. See Arizona Laws 3-3511
- Gasoline provider: means any manufacturer of gasoline or any person who imports gasoline into a vehicle emissions control area by means of a pipeline or in truckload quantities for the person's own use within the vehicle emissions control area or any person who sells gasoline intended for ultimate consumption within a vehicle emissions control area. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Government: means the state, any political subdivision of the state or any department, agency, board, commission, institution or governmental instrumentality of or within the state or political subdivision. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- Gross debt: means the sum of the remaining payments that a debtor owes a creditor. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Group: means any of the following:
(a) One or more employers or labor organizations, or a trust or the trustees of a fund established by one or more employers or labor organizations for employees or former employees or members or former members of the labor organization. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Group long-term care insurance: means a long-term care insurance policy that is delivered or issued for delivery in this state to a group. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Guarantor: A party who agrees to be responsible for the payment of another party's debts should that party default. Source: OCC
- Household pests: means pests, other than wood-destroying organisms, that invade households or other structures, including rodents, vermin and insects. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Identifiable charge: means a charge for a type of consumer credit insurance that is made to debtors having that insurance and not made to debtors not having the insurance, and that includes a charge for insurance that is disclosed in the credit or other instrument furnished to the debtor that states the financial elements of the credit transaction and any difference in the finance, interest, service or other similar charge made to debtors in like circumstances except for the insured or noninsured status of the debtor or of the property used as security for the credit transaction. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Inspector: means a state official of the division. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- insured: as used in this article shall not be construed as preventing a person other than the insured with a proper insurable interest from making application for and owning a policy covering the insured or from being entitled under such a policy to any indemnities, benefits and rights provided therein. See Arizona Laws 20-1370
- Knowingly: means , with respect to conduct or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense, that a person is aware or believes that the person's conduct is of that nature or that the circumstance exists. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- License: means a license issued pursuant to this chapter. See Arizona Laws 6-1251
- Licensed health care practitioner: means any physician licensed pursuant to title 32, chapter 13 or 17, any registered nurse or registered nurse practitioner licensed pursuant to title 32, chapter 15 or any other individual who meets the requirements prescribed by the United States secretary of the treasury. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Licensee: means a corporation, company, firm, partnership, association or natural person that is licensed by the superintendent to engage in the business of providing deferred presentment services pursuant to this chapter. See Arizona Laws 6-1251
- Loan: means an advance or commitment of certain funds pursuant to a repayment agreement. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Location: means the entire space in which a licensee provides deferred presentment services. See Arizona Laws 6-1251
- Long-term care insurance: means an individual or group insurance policy or rider issued by insurers, fraternal benefit societies, nonprofit health, hospital and medical service corporations, prepaid health plans, health care services organizations or any similar organization and advertised, marketed, offered or designed to provide coverage for each covered person on an expense-incurred, indemnity, prepaid or other basis for one or more necessary or medically necessary diagnostic, preventive, therapeutic, rehabilitative, maintenance, personal or custodial care services provided in a setting other than an acute care unit of a hospital. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Maintenance or personal care services: means any care the primary purpose of which is to provide assistance needed with any disability that results in the individual being a chronically ill individual, including the protection from threats to health and safety due to severe cognitive impairment. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Mass marketed life or health insurance: means insurance under any franchise, group or blanket policy of life or health insurance which is offered by means of direct response solicitation through a sponsoring organization or through the mails or other mass communications media and under which the person who is insured pays all or substantially all of the cost of his insurance. See Arizona Laws 20-1661
- mental defect: means the victim is unable to comprehend the distinctively sexual nature of the conduct or is incapable of understanding or exercising the right to refuse to engage in the conduct with another. See Arizona Laws 13-1401
- Minimum policyholder position: means the amount computed pursuant to section 20-1550. See Arizona Laws 20-1541
- Misdemeanor: means an offense for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment other than to the custody of the state department of corrections is authorized by any law of this state. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgage guaranty insurance: means insurance against financial loss by reason of nonpayment of:
(a) Principal, interest or other sums agreed to be paid under the terms of any note or bond or other evidence of indebtedness secured by a mortgage, deed of trust or other instrument constituting a lien or charge on real estate if the improvement on such real estate is a residential building or a condominium unit or buildings designed for occupancy by not more than four families. See Arizona Laws 20-1541
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Motor fuel: means a petroleum or a petroleum-based substance that is motor gasoline, aviation gasoline, number one or number two diesel fuel or any grade of oxygenated gasoline typically used in the operation of a motor engine, including biodiesel blends, biofuel blends and ethanol flex fuels. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- motor vehicle: means a licensed land, motor-driven vehicle but does not mean:
1. See Arizona Laws 20-1631
- Motor vehicle racing event: means a race that uses unlicensed vehicles designed and manufactured specifically for racing purposes and that is conducted on a public or private racecourse for the entertainment of the general public. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Net debt: means the amount necessary to liquidate a debt in a single lump sum payment, excluding all unearned interest and other unearned finance charges. See Arizona Laws 20-1603
- Net retained liability: means the total liability retained by a title insurer under any policy or contract of insurance, or under a single insurance risk as defined in or computed in accordance with paragraph 7, after the purchase of reinsurance. See Arizona Laws 20-1562
- New-construction treatment: means a treatment that protects all cellulose components of a structure from subterranean termites and that is performed after a permanent concrete slab foundation is installed or footings and supports for a raised foundation are installed, but before the structure or a final grade treatment is completed. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Nonpayment of premium: means the failure or inability of the named insured to discharge any obligation in connection with the payment of premiums on a policy of insurance subject to this article, whether the payments are payable directly to the insurer or its agent or payable through a premium finance plan or extension of credit. See Arizona Laws 20-1672
- Nonrenewal: means termination of a policy at its expiration date. See Arizona Laws 20-1672
- Oath: includes an affirmation or declaration. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Open-end credit: A credit agreement (typically a credit card) that allows a customer to borrow against a preapproved credit line when purchasing goods and services. The borrower is only billed for the amount that is actually borrowed plus any interest due. (Also called a charge account or revolving credit.) Source: OCC
- Oral sexual contact: means oral contact with the penis, vulva or anus. See Arizona Laws 13-1401
- Other structures: includes railroad cars, boats, docks, motor vehicles or airplanes and their contents. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Oxygenate: means any oxygen-containing ashless, organic compound, including aliphatic alcohols and aliphatic ethers, that may be used as a fuel or as a gasoline blending component and that is approved as a blending agent under the provisions of a waiver issued by the United States environmental protection agency pursuant to 42 United States Code section 7545(f). See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Package: means any commodity enclosed in a container or wrapped in any manner in advance of sale in units suitable for either wholesale or retail trade. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Partner: means a person who either:
(a) Is authorized by law or a partnership agreement to participate in the management of the business of the partnership. See Arizona Laws 6-1251
- Peace officer: means any person vested by law with a duty to maintain public order and make arrests and includes a constable. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Person: means both the plural and the singular, as the case demands, and includes individuals, partnerships, corporations, companies, societies and associations. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Person: means a human being and, as the context requires, an enterprise, a public or private corporation, an unincorporated association, a partnership, a firm, a society, a government, a governmental authority or an individual or entity capable of holding a legal or beneficial interest in property. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- personal or controlled insurance: means a policy of title insurance where the insured or one of the insureds under such policy is, or the loss thereunder is payable to:
1. See Arizona Laws 20-1587
- Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidences of debt. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Pest management services: means identifying infestations or making inspections for the purpose of identifying or attempting to identify infestations, making written or oral inspection reports or recommendations with respect to infestations and the application of pesticides or the use of devices not exempt by section 3-3603, subsection B, paragraph 17 for the purpose of eliminating, exterminating, controlling or preventing infestations. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Pesticide: means any substance or mixture of substances intended to be used for preventing, destroying, repelling or mitigating insects, fungi, bacteria, microbes, weeds, rodents, predatory animals or any form of plant or animal life that is, or that the director may declare to be, a pest and that may infest or be detrimental to vegetation, humans, animals or households or be present in any environment. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Physical injury: means the impairment of physical condition. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Policy: means an individual or group policy, contract, subscriber agreement, rider or endorsement delivered or issued for delivery in this state by an insurer, fraternal benefit society, nonprofit health, hospital or medical service corporation, prepaid health plan or health care services organization or any similar organization. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Policyholder position: means the contingency reserve prescribed in section 20-1556 and surplus as regards policyholders. See Arizona Laws 20-1541
- Political subdivision: means a state agency, county, city, town, municipal corporation or school district or a special district formed pursuant to title 48. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Population: means the population according to the most recent United States decennial census. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Position of trust: means a person who is or was any of the following:
(a) The minor's parent, stepparent, adoptive parent, legal guardian or foster parent. See Arizona Laws 13-1401
- Possession: means a voluntary act if the defendant knowingly exercised dominion or control over property. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Postconstruction treatment: means a treatment to control wood-destroying organisms in or around an existing structure performed after all soil disturbance associated with construction is complete and after an applicator has completed an inspection of the structure and a treatment proposal under section 3-3632, subsections A and B. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Preexisting condition: means a condition for which medical advice or treatment was recommended by or received from a health care services provider within six months before the effective date of coverage of an insured person. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Pretreatment: means a termite treatment that protects all cellulose components of a structure from subterranean termites, that is performed before a permanent concrete slab foundation is installed or in conjunction with establishing footings and supports for a raised foundation and that establishes thorough and complete horizontal and vertical treated barriers. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Private passenger motor vehicle: means any vehicle that is rated or insured under a family automobile policy, standard automobile policy, personal automobile policy or similar private passenger automobile policy written for personal use, including use by an insured of a motor vehicle in the course of the insured's volunteer work for a tax-exempt organization as described in section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code, as opposed to a motor vehicle rated or insured under a commercial automobile policy. See Arizona Laws 20-117
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Process: means a citation, writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Product transfer document: means any bill of lading, loading ticket, manifest, delivery receipt, invoice or other documentation used on any occasion when a person transfers custody or title of motor fuel other than when motor fuel is sold or dispensed at a service station or fleet vehicle fueling facility. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Property: means anything of value, tangible or intangible. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Public weighmaster: means any person who is engaged in any of the following:
(a) The business of weighing any object or thing for the public generally for hire or for internal use and issuing for that weighing a weight certificate intended to be accepted as an accurate weight on which a purchase or sale is to be based or on which a service fee is to be charged. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Qualified long-term care insurance contract: means :
(a) Any insurance policy that meets the requirements of section 7702B(b) of the internal revenue code of 1986, as amended. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Qualifying party: means a certified qualified applicator registered with the division as the individual responsible for ensuring the training, equipping and supervision of all applicators of a business licensee or school district. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Registered service agency: means any agency, firm, company or corporation that for hire, award, commission or any other payment of any kind installs, services, repairs or reconditions a commercial device or tests or repairs vapor recovery systems or vapor recovery components and that has been issued a license by the division. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Registered service representative: means any individual who for hire, award, commission or any other payment of any kind installs, services, repairs or reconditions a commercial device or tests or repairs vapor recovery systems or vapor recovery components and who has been issued a license by the division. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Retail seller: means a person whose business purpose is to sell, expose or offer for sale or use any package or commodity by weight, measure or count. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- School: means any public or nonpublic institution, other than a child's home, that is established for the purpose of offering instruction to pupils in programs for preschool children with disabilities, kindergarten programs or any combination of grades one through twelve and that qualifies as a school pursuant to section 15-802. See Arizona Laws 3-3601
- Serious physical injury: includes physical injury that creates a reasonable risk of death, or that causes serious and permanent disfigurement, serious impairment of health or loss or protracted impairment of the function of any bodily organ or limb. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Severe cognitive impairment: means an impairment determined by a licensed health care practitioner as meeting the definition of an impairment as established by title III of the health insurance portability and accountability act of 1996 (P. See Arizona Laws 20-1691
- Sexual intercourse: means penetration into the penis, vulva or anus by any part of the body or by any object or masturbatory contact with the penis or vulva. See Arizona Laws 13-1401
- Single insurance risk: means the insured amount of any policy or contract of title insurance issued by a title insurer unless two or more policies or contracts are simultaneously issued on different estates in identical real property, in which event, it means the sum of the insured amounts of all such policies or contracts, except that any such policy or contract that insures a mortgage interest or a vendor's interest that is excepted in a fee or leasehold policy or contract, and which does not exceed the insured amount of such fee or leasehold policy or contract, shall be excluded in computing the amount of a single insurance risk. See Arizona Laws 20-1562
- Spouse: means a person who is legally married and cohabiting. See Arizona Laws 13-1401
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Superintendent: means the superintendent of financial institutions. See Arizona Laws 6-101
- Supplier: means any person that imports gasoline into a vehicle emissions control area by means of a pipeline or in truckload quantities for the person's own use within the vehicle emissions control area or any person that sells gasoline intended for ultimate consumption within a vehicle emissions control area, except that supplier does not mean a person with respect to gasoline supplied or sold by the person to another for resale to a retailer within a vehicle emissions control area or to a fleet owner for consumption within a vehicle emissions control area. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Teacher: means a certificated teacher as defined in section 15-501 or any other person who provides instruction to pupils in any school district, charter school or accommodation school, the Arizona state schools for the deaf and the blind or a private school in this state. See Arizona Laws 13-1401
- Title: includes this title, title 32, chapters 9 and 36 and title 44, chapter 2. See Arizona Laws 6-101
- Title insurance: means insuring, guaranteeing or indemnifying owners of real property or others interested therein against loss or damage suffered by reason of liens, encumbrances upon, defects in or the unmarketability of the title to such property, guaranteeing, warranting or otherwise insuring the correctness of searches relating to the title to real property, or doing any business in substance equivalent to any of the foregoing. See Arizona Laws 20-1562
- Title insurance agent: means a domestic or foreign stock corporation or limited liability company authorized in writing by a title insurer to solicit insurance and collect premiums and to issue or countersign policies in its behalf, except that the term "title insurance agent" shall not include officers or salaried employees of any title insurer authorized to do a title insurance business within this state. See Arizona Laws 20-1562
- Title insurance plant: means a set of records in which an entry has been made of all documents or matters which under the law impart constructive notice of matters affecting title to real property or any interest therein or encumbrance thereon and which have been filed or recorded in the county for which such title plant is maintained for a period of not less than the immediately preceding twenty years. See Arizona Laws 20-1562
- Title insurance policy: means a written instrument or contract by means of which title insurance liability is accepted. See Arizona Laws 20-1562
- Title insurer: means any domestic company organized under the provisions of this title for the purpose of insuring titles to real property, any title insurance company organized under the laws of another state and licensed to insure titles to real estate within this state pursuant to the provisions of this article, and any domestic or foreign company having the power and authorized to insure titles to real estate within this state as of January 1, 1968 which meet the requirements of this article. See Arizona Laws 20-1562
- to renew: means the issuance of or the offer to issue by an insurer a policy succeeding a policy previously issued and delivered by the same insurer or an insurer within the same group of insurers or the issuance of a certificate or notice extending the term of an existing policy for a specified period beyond its expiration date. See Arizona Laws 20-1672
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Unlawful: means contrary to law or, where the context so requires, not permitted by law. See Arizona Laws 13-105
- Usury: Charging an illegally high interest rate on a loan. Source: OCC
- Vehicle emissions control area: means a county with a population of one million two hundred thousand or more persons and any portion of a county contained in area A, or any portion of area B or C, except that such an area does not include a manufacturer's proving ground that is located in the vehicle emissions control area. See Arizona Laws 3-3401
- Volunteer work: means work performed without compensation other than reimbursement of actual expenses incurred, or disbursement of meals or other incidental benefits. See Arizona Laws 20-117
- Without consent: includes any of the following:
(a) The victim is coerced by the immediate use or threatened use of force against a person or property. See Arizona Laws 13-1401
- Wood-destroying organisms: means organisms that attack, damage or destroy wood or wood-derivative products, but does not include birds or mammals. See Arizona Laws 3-3601