If a party establishes that an appeal from a foreign-country judgment is pending or will be taken in the foreign country, the court may stay any proceedings with regard to the foreign-country judgment until the appeal is concluded, the time for appeal expires, or the appellant has had sufficient time to prosecute the appeal and has failed to do so.

(Added by Stats. 2007, Ch. 212, Sec. 2. Effective January 1, 2008.)

Terms Used In California Code of Civil Procedure 1720

  • Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
  • Foreign country: means a government other than any of the following:

    California Government Code 12599.5

  • Foreign-country judgment: means a judgment of a court of a foreign country. See California Government Code 12599.5
  • Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.