No action for the recovery of real property, or for the recovery of the possession thereof, can be maintained, unless it appear that the plaintiff, his ancestor, predecessor, or grantor, was seized or possessed of the property in question, within five years before the commencement of the action.
Terms Used In California Code of Civil Procedure 318
- action: as used in this Title is to be construed, whenever it is necessary so to do, as including a special proceeding of a civil nature. See California Code of Civil Procedure 363
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Property: includes both personal and real property. See California Code of Civil Procedure 17
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.