(a) A corporation may amend its articles to change its status to that of a nonprofit public benefit corporation, a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation, a nonprofit religious corporation, a business corporation, or a social purpose corporation by complying with this section and the other sections of this chapter.

(b) Except as authorized by Section 12501 or unless the corporation has no members, an amendment to change its status to a nonprofit public benefit corporation or a nonprofit religious corporation shall: (1) be approved by the members (Section 12224), and the fairness of the amendment to the members shall be approved by the Commissioner of Corporations pursuant to Section 25142; or (2) be approved by the members (Section 12224) in an election conducted by written ballot pursuant to Section 12463 in which no negative votes are cast; or (3) be approved by 100 percent of the voting power.

Terms Used In California Corporations Code 12504

  • Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
  • Corporation: as used in this part means a corporation which is organized under, or subject to this part, including a central organization. See California Corporations Code 12232
  • Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
  • State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 77

(c) Amended articles authorized by this section shall include the provisions which would have been required (other than the initial street address and initial mailing address of the corporation and the name of the initial agent for service of process if a statement has been filed pursuant to Section 12570), and may in addition only include those provisions which would have been permitted, in original articles filed by the type of corporation (nonprofit public benefit, nonprofit mutual benefit, nonprofit religious, business, or social purpose) into which the corporation is changing its status.

(d) At the time of filing a certificate of amendment to change status to a nonprofit public benefit corporation, the Secretary of State shall forward a copy of the filed certificate to the Attorney General.

(Amended by Stats. 2014, Ch. 694, Sec. 71. (SB 1301) Effective January 1, 2015.)