The insurance coverage provided under this article may contain the following provisions:
(1) School administrative authorities shall certify whether an injured student applying for the insurance benefits is a student of the educational institution and is enrolled as a member of an athletic team.
Terms Used In California Education Code 32224
- Educational institution: means a school district, a community college district, a state university, the University of California, and the State Department of Education special schools. See California Education Code 32220
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Member of an athletic team: means member of any extramural athletic team engaged in athletic events on or outside the school grounds, maintained or sponsored by the educational institution or a student body organization thereof. See California Education Code 32220
(2) The injured student, or his parents or guardian, shall notify school administrative authorities of his injury not later than 60 days from the date of injury.
(3) Medical or hospital care or treatment must commence within 120 days from the date of injury.
(4) The period of time for which benefits shall be payable is limited to 52 weeks from the date the student received his first medical or hospital care or treatment. Benefits shall be payable only for such treatment as is given within the United States.
(Amended by Stats. 1980, Ch. 556, Sec. 3.)