(a) The funds appropriated to the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges in Schedule 23 of Item 6870-101-0001 of Section 2.00 of the Budget Act of 2017 are for allocation by the board of governors to make awards to community colleges pursuant to this article.
(b) The board of governors shall award moneys pursuant to this article for innovations that improve student success, and that are sustainable and capable of being scaled across the state, with a particular focus on all of the following:
Terms Used In California Education Code 66010.99
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
(1) Programs and frameworks that support students from groups that are underrepresented in higher education, such as low-income students, students from underrepresented schools and neighborhoods, first-generation students, students who are current or former foster youth, and students with disabilities.
(2) Targeted services and programs for students who are current or former members of the Armed Forces of the United States. For the purposes of this section, “Armed Forces of the United States” means the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, and the reserve components of each of those forces, the National Guard of any state, the California State Military Reserve, and the California Naval Militia.
(3) Programs and frameworks that support adults who have been displaced from the workforce, and adults who are underemployed, so as to obtain the necessary training for gainful employment.
(4) Programs that support incarcerated adults in prisons and jails, including formerly incarcerated adults.
(5) Programs that incorporate technology to improve instruction and support services with a plan to ensure student success in these types of programs.
(c) The board of governors shall make an award pursuant to this article only to a community college, but the award may be for innovations that encourage or require partnership between the community college and other entities.
(d) (1) By January 1, 2020, the Chancellor’s Office shall report to the Director of Finance and the Legislature a summary of the activities supported by the moneys awarded.
(2) By January 1, 2022, the Chancellor’s Office shall report to the Director of Finance and the Legislature a summary of the outcomes for the student populations identified by the community colleges in their applications for an award, including, but not limited to, the number of degrees and certificates awarded and the time it took students to complete their program.
(3) A report to be submitted pursuant to this subdivision shall be submitted in compliance with Section 9795 of the Government Code.
(Amended by Stats. 2017, Ch. 250, Sec. 6. (AB 129) Effective September 16, 2017.)