Terms Used In California Codes > Education Code > Title 3 > Division 7 > Part 51 > Chapter 4 > Article 5
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- ballot: means any of the following:
California Education Code 88078
- Ballot card: means a card or a number of cards upon which are printed, or identified by reference to the ballot, the names of candidates for nomination or election to one or more offices or the ballot titles of one or more measures. See California Education Code 88079
- board: means any entity listed in Section 101, the entities referred to in Sections 1000 and 3600, the State Bar, the Bureau of Real Estate, and any other state agency that issues a license, certificate, or registration authorizing a person to engage in a business or profession. See California Education Code 17352
- candidate: includes any officeholder who is subject to a recall election. See California Education Code 88085
- Election: means any election including a primary that is provided for under this code. See California Education Code 88097
- Elections official: means any of the following:
California Education Code 88100
- Elector: means a person who is a United States citizen 18 years of age or older and, except as specified in subdivision (b), is a resident of an election precinct in this state on or before the day of an election. See California Education Code 88101
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- General election: means either of the following:
California Education Code 88104
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Nominate: means the selection, at a state-conducted primary election, of candidates who are entitled by law to participate in the general election for that office, but does not mean any other lawful mechanism that a political party may adopt for the purposes of choosing the candidate who is preferred by the party for a nonpartisan or voter-nominated office. See California Education Code 88112
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Party: means a political party or organization that has qualified for participation in any primary or presidential general election. See California Education Code 88122
- Person: means any individual, partnership, association, corporation, limited liability company, or any organized group of persons whether incorporated or not. See California Education Code 19963
- Precinct: means a geographical area within a county that is made up of voters and is formed pursuant to Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 12200) of Division 12. See California Education Code 88124
- Primary election: includes all primary nominating elections provided for by this code. See California Education Code 88127
- Punching: includes marking a ballot card to record a vote. See California Education Code 88131
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 17325
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which that term occurs, unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 17319
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Voter: means any elector who is registered under this code. See California Education Code 88183
- Voting machine: means any electronic device, including, but not limited to, a precinct optical scanner and a direct recording voting system, into which a voter may enter his or her votes, and which, by means of electronic tabulation and generation of printouts or other tangible, human-readable records, furnishes a total of the number of votes cast for each candidate and for or against each measure. See California Education Code 88190