(a) No escrow agent shall disseminate, or cause or permit to be disseminated, in any manner whatsoever, any statement or representation which is false, misleading, or deceptive, or which omits to state material information, or which refers to the supervision of that agent by the State of California or any department or official thereof.
(b) A licensed escrow agent, in referring to the corporation‘s licensure under this law in any written or printed communication or any communication by means of recorded telephone messages or spoken on radio, television, or similar communications media, shall include the following statement: “This escrow company holds California Department of Business Oversight Escrow License No. ____.”
Terms Used In California Financial Code 17210.2
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- escrow agent: as used in this division includes joint control agents and Internet escrow agents. See California Government Code 25831
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Person: includes any person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, company, limited liability company, syndicate, estate, trust, business trust, or organization of any kind. See California Education Code 18561
(c) The commissioner may order any person to desist from any conduct which the commissioner finds to be a violation of this section.
(Amended by Stats. 2015, Ch. 190, Sec. 37. (AB 1517) Effective January 1, 2016.)