(a) On an annual basis, the board shall transfer funds to separate supplemental state and school accounts, to fund the purchasing power protection allowance of retirees, survivors, and beneficiaries of state or school employers, respectively. The amounts transferred shall be the lesser of the following:
(1) The amount necessary to increase all monthly allowances paid by this system to retirees, survivors, and beneficiaries of state or school employers to 75 percent of the purchasing power of the initial monthly allowances.
Terms Used In California Government Code 21337
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Government Code 18
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which the term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Government Code 10
(2) One and one-tenth percent of state or school member contributions, as determined by Section 20178.
(b) The funds transferred to the two separate supplemental accounts shall be utilized to increase all monthly allowances paid by this system to retirees, survivors, and beneficiaries of state and school employers, up to a maximum of 75 percent of the purchasing power, as determined by the board, of the initial monthly allowances, notwithstanding the benefit provided by Section 21328, that were received by every retired state or school member or survivor or beneficiary of a state or school member or retiree who was eligible to receive any allowance at the end of each fiscal year. Funds remaining in the state or school account after the payment of benefits under this section shall be transferred to the respective state or school employer accounts.
(c) Annual adjustments in the purchasing power protection allowance shall be effective with the monthly allowance regularly payable on the first day of May, provided that in the first year after enactment of the act adding this subdivision, the purchasing power protection allowance adjustment to the monthly allowance payable on the first day of May shall also reflect an adjustment for the period from January 1 through April 30. The board shall implement the provisions of this subdivision on or before January 1, 2012, unless the board determines that the implementation tasks cannot be completed until a later date, in which case, the board shall be prepared to implement the provisions of this section no later than July 1, 2013.
(Amended by Stats. 2017, Ch. 241, Sec. 9. (SB 525) Effective January 1, 2018.)