(a) Notwithstanding Section 21461, a member retiring for service who became a member of the system on or after January 1, 2002, and who is covered under the federal system but is not yet receiving a retirement or disability benefit under that system, may elect to have the actuarial equivalent of his or her unmodified service retirement allowance paid in two parts as follows:
(1) A temporary annuity that shall not exceed the primary social security benefit that is anticipated the member shall be entitled to receive at social security retirement age, which age shall be designated by the member.
Terms Used In California Government Code 21461.5
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which the term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 19404
(2) A life income consisting of the member’s service retirement annuity plus the pension provided by the actuarial value of the member’s current and prior service pensions remaining after providing the temporary annuity in paragraph (1).
(b) The temporary annuity under paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) shall not be subject to further optional settlement under this article and shall be payable monthly as an addition to the member’s monthly life income beginning on the member’s effective date of retirement and continuing until the retired member attains the age designated by the member under subdivision (a). If the member dies prior to the designated age, the commuted value of any installments payable for the period remaining until the member would have attained that age shall be paid to the member’s designated beneficiary in a lump sum.
This section shall apply to any member who retires on or before December 31, 2017.
(Amended by Stats. 2016, Ch. 199, Sec. 17. (AB 2404) Effective January 1, 2017.)