As used in this article:
(a) “Local agency” means a county, city, school district, district, municipal corporation, political subdivision, public corporation, or other public agency of the state.
Terms Used In California Government Code 53200
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- City: includes "city and county" and "incorporated town" but does not include "unincorporated town" or "village. See California Education Code 19429
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 19428
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which the term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 19404
(b) “Group life insurance” and “group policies of life insurance” includes “group annuities”, and “group annuity contracts.”
(c) “Legislative body” means the board of supervisors of a county or city, or the governing board, by whatever name called, of a school district, district, municipal corporation, political subdivision, public corporation, or other public agency of the state.
(d) “Health and welfare benefit” means any one or more of the following: hospital, medical, surgical, disability, legal expense or related benefits including, but not limited to, medical, dental, life, legal expense, and income protection insurance or benefits, whether provided on an insurance or a service basis, and includes group life insurance as defined in subdivision (b) of this section.
(e) “Employees” or “officers and employees” mean all employees and officers, including members of the legislative body, who are eligible under the terms of any plan of health and welfare benefits adopted by a local agency pursuant to this article.
(Amended by Stats. 1974, Ch. 1370.)