As used in this chapter:
(a) “Local agency” includes a county; city, whether general law or chartered; city and county; school district; municipal corporation; district; political subdivision; or any board, commission or agency thereof; other local public agency; or entities that are legislative bodies of a local agency pursuant to subdivisions (c) and (d) of Section 54952.
Terms Used In California Government Code 6252
- City: includes "city and county" and "incorporated town" but does not include "unincorporated town" or "village. See California Education Code 19429
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 19428
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes any person, firm, association, organization, partnership, limited liability company, business trust, corporation, or company. See California Education Code 19426
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 19427
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which the term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 19404
(b) “Member of the public” means any person, except a member, agent, officer, or employee of a federal, state, or local agency acting within the scope of his or her membership, agency, office, or employment.
(c) “Person” includes any natural person, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, firm, or association.
(d) “Public agency” means any state or local agency.
(e) “Public records” includes any writing containing information relating to the conduct of the public’s business prepared, owned, used, or retained by any state or local agency regardless of physical form or characteristics. “Public records” in the custody of, or maintained by, the Governor’s office means any writing prepared on or after January 6, 1975.
(f) (1) “State agency” means every state office, officer, department, division, bureau, board, and commission or other state body or agency, except those agencies provided for in Article IV (except Section 20 thereof) or Article VI of the California Constitution.
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) or any other law, “state agency” shall also mean the State Bar of California, as described in Section 6001 of the Business and Professions Code.
(g) “Writing” means any handwriting, typewriting, printing, photostating, photographing, photocopying, transmitting by electronic mail or facsimile, and every other means of recording upon any tangible thing any form of communication or representation, including letters, words, pictures, sounds, or symbols, or combinations thereof, and any record thereby created, regardless of the manner in which the record has been stored.
(Amended by Stats. 2015, Ch. 537, Sec. 20. (SB 387) Effective January 1, 2016.)